Thoughts on Ford Traction LOK LSD

mekcanix

Camper
Holy hell!!
the price of axles has gone up in the last 10 years! When I built up my BroncoII I found a exploder 8.8 with 4.10 and a trac lok diff at Buck's for 150$

mekcanix

Camper
Pardon, my Buddy Paul from ProGear just reminded me it was closer to 14 years ago
EEEK I am getting old and time is sure flying

85_Ranger4x4

Holy hell!!
the price of axles has gone up in the last 10 years! When I built up my BroncoII I found a exploder 8.8 with 4.10 and a trac lok diff at Buck's for 150$

Mine was $100 w/ the springs 14 years ago... guy was parting it out in his garage and we had to pull it. They are still cheap in u-pull-it type yards... which 11+ are too young for.

Late model stuff out of a "we pull it" yard is always going to be steep.

4wd is needed on my Ranger to maintain directional stability with the clutch limited slip. The rear wants to pass the front in mud/snow in 2wd. In 4wd it is a tank.

I did the trick where instead of two steel discs, one clutch disk, two steel disks I did one one steel, one clutch, one steel... so it is tighter than normal too.

Gear oil with the additive in it in my experiance isn't enough, it would groan on corners... so I run the oil with additive and the recommended dose of additive. Pretty much two rooster tails no matter what and no painful sounding groaning in parking lot. I am happy with it... but for $500+ I would be eyeing selectable lockers. You are halfway to an ARB... if they make a locker for that new of an axle.

Grassland

There are additional expenses to selectable aftermarket lockers outside of the price difference between the units themselves.

I'm probably just going to stay open.

Can't reliably get things from the USA now that they have closed the border, and will get hosed on duty, plus our dollar is $.70 Now
Everything here is 40-50% more than online listed prices.

Oh well, least I learned don't bother with a Track LOK.
That's $525 saved on the LSD and $600 labour.

1stDeuce

Explorer
FWIW, the Trac Lok isn't much cheaper than the TruTrac, but if you're in Canadia it might be different. In US dollars, I can tell you that the TracLok for a D35 is about $420, and the TT is about 470. (Was $370 juast a few years ago...) TT is a much better LSD for not a lot more money.

Also, putting a LSD in the rear diff is not nearly as expensive as doing a full gear setup... Pinion depth doesn't change when you put in a new carrier, so you're only talking carrier shims to set lash. I have had good luck so far just swapping the shims from the old carrier to the new and re-installing with new bearings. backlash came out in spec on both diffs I did that to, and they're still going strong ~90k miles later.

FWIW, you have traction control, and it'll do a fairly good job of keeping you mobile if you learn to use it. A single press of the button should turn off the engine power reductions, but leave brake control active. This way, when one tire spins, traction control will apply brake to the spinning tire to get you moving again. You just have to be steady with the throttle, and give it a second to build pressure. It should become more agressive in low range, particularly in the lower gears, so that you can keep going even with tires in the air. While a LSD does add some capability through ease of operation, your traction control system is probably worth more in the long run.

phsycle

Adventurer
There are additional expenses to selectable aftermarket lockers outside of the price difference between the units themselves.

I'm probably just going to stay open.

Can't reliably get things from the USA now that they have closed the border, and will get hosed on duty, plus our dollar is $.70 Now
Everything here is 40-50% more than online listed prices.

Oh well, least I learned don't bother with a Track LOK.
That's $525 saved on the LSD and $600 labour.

Maybe just get a winch and/or Maxtraxx?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger