Time for a vehicle upgrade

alexh

Hi all,

I currently have a 98 V6 4WD Tacoma and it’s time to upgrade a bit. It has shell and I typically use it to get to remote trailheads, usually car camping along the way (sleeping in the bed). It’s a great vehicle and cost of ownership has been very low although it is a high maintenance vehicle but I suppose this is the trade off for superior capability. I do all maintenance and repairs myself. However this truck is very noisy inside on the highway (I think around 2000 Toyota increased the sound deadening but mine seems to have very little). Also at moderate altitudes and grades I can’t maintain the speed limit. It has 33 tires with 4.11 gears which is a factor.
I don’t do hardcore off road as I’m usually alone so can’t risk breaking down. Thus don’t really need a solid axle vehicle except that it’s less maintenance. Like many in this subforum I’m pretty much Toyota only.

The downsides of this vehicle for my use are as follows:

1. The main issue is gear storage. Between the car camping gear (I’m a minimalist in that regard), backpacking gear and the seldom used equipment specifically for the truck (tools, air etc.) it gets a bit cluttered. The area behind the front seats are swimming in duffel bags etc and it’s hard to reach. Sometimes I spend 15 mins trying to find my sunscreen!

2. Sleeping and storing items in the shell is not ideal. For one dust does creep in. I know they have shells which replace the rear gate and thus seal but I’m not too keen on that as I do haul lumber etc a few times a year (although a trailer rental is only $20). I bet with a bit of ingenuity I could figure out a way to seal the rear gate of the truck using weather strip. Another downside to shells is that they shift around especially if you go offroad which makes it difficult to close the rear glass sometimes. I suspect this could be remedied by adding screws through the bed rail to "fix" the shell.

I was sleeping in the back once in a remote area and 2 men approached. I heard them and when I sat up they changed direction. I usually go on these trips alone so I can sleep in the bed with my gear but sometimes I put the gear on the roof to make room. With a SUV if threatened you could make a quick getaway. Admittedly these are minor issues, and I briefly considered a 4Runner but I think the storage issue is even worse. Also considered a 200 series Land Cruiser (early ones are reasonably priced) but the complexity of those vehicles concerns me. I was looking for a 80 series Landcruiser for months but they are getting bit long in the tooth.

So I have boiled down my choices to a 2nd gen Tacoma (I think the 2012+ is best) with a high quality cab high shell. I’m considering a double cab long bed. My thinking is I could remove the rear seats and place bins in that area. I could bin the seldom used repair items on the bottom and maybe stack the car camping bins above. Of course there are downsides to the double cab LB and I’m not crazy about automatic transmissions although they are about extinct anyhow.

With regards to the access cab, a major improvement is the extended cab access. This is a night and day improvement for me. I don’t even know if both sides have the door? As far as putting down bins it appears to have the floor hump but I could put in a box structure to level the floor and put seldom used items in the box structure. My only concern is that in my truck this is probably not practical because there is only about 20” between the rear of the seat (all the way back) and the back seat cushion. I’m wondering if this distance is any greater on the second gen? Also removing the cushions may help, mine are a fold down to sit arrangement. So a specific question I have is perhaps someone with a second gen can measure from the back, bottom of the front seat (slid all the way back) to the back cushion (for equal comparison) and give me an idea of how thick the cushion is also.

Thanks for reading my long post, just wanted to get advice from people who actually use their trucks for activities similar to mine. My goals are a bit more comfort, a bit more power and organized storage.

P.S. Just to drive it home that even someone like me needs very good off road capability I will relate the following experience. Just last Sunday I was in Utah at Buckskin gulch for a day hike. When I went down the road (signed impassible when wet) it was light sprinkles but the road had just been graded and was smooth and dry. There were about a dozen vehicles parked at the trailhead, many were guides but no one around. Shortly after arrival at the trail head a thunder storm passed overhead and it was like the gates of hell opened. Very hard rain and lightning strikes so close it set off car alarms. So I decided to abandon my plans and head out. There is only one moderate grade exiting near the trailhead.

As I went up the grade immediately the truck was wandering all over the road. I could scarcely believe what was happening. I had to stop and reverse at one point because I was headed for a ditch. I put it in 4 wheel drive and hit the locker button which allowed some forward motion but it was still all over the road. Luckily it was not off camber (and it was a bit rutted) or it would have been impossible to keep it out of the ditch. It seems that the soil in much of Utah has an extremely high clay content and it’s literally like ice when wet. Admittedly my tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs) are very worn which was probably a big factor. Getting stuck in a location like that, even though it not that remote would definitely ruin your day.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Hi all,

I currently have a 98 V6 4WD Tacoma and it’s time to upgrade a bit. It has shell and I typically use it to get to remote trailheads, usually car camping along the way (sleeping in the bed). It’s a great vehicle and cost of ownership has been very low although it is a high maintenance vehicle but I suppose this is the trade off for superior capability. I do all maintenance and repairs myself. However this truck is very noisy inside on the highway (I think around 2000 Toyota increased the sound deadening but mine seems to have very little). Also at moderate altitudes and grades I can’t maintain the speed limit. It has 33 tires with 4.11 gears which is a factor.
I don’t do hardcore off road as I’m usually alone so can’t risk breaking down. Thus don’t really need a solid axle vehicle except that it’s less maintenance. Like many in this subforum I’m pretty much Toyota only.

The downsides of this vehicle for my use are as follows:

1. The main issue is gear storage. Between the car camping gear (I’m a minimalist in that regard), backpacking gear and the seldom used equipment specifically for the truck (tools, air etc.) it gets a bit cluttered. The area behind the front seats are swimming in duffel bags etc and it’s hard to reach. Sometimes I spend 15 mins trying to find my sunscreen!

2. Sleeping and storing items in the shell is not ideal. For one dust does creep in. I know they have shells which replace the rear gate and thus seal but I’m not too keen on that as I do haul lumber etc a few times a year (although a trailer rental is only $20). I was sleeping in the back once in a remote area and 2 men approached. I heard them and when I sat up they changed direction. I usually go on these trips alone so I can sleep in the bed with my gear but sometimes I put the gear on the roof to make room. With a SUV if threatened you could make a quick getaway. Admittedly these are minor issues, and I briefly considered a 4Runner but I think the storage issue is even worse. Also considered a 200 series Land Cruiser (early ones are reasonably priced) but the complexity of those vehicles concerns me. I was looking for a 80 series Landcruiser for months but they are getting bit long in the tooth. I bet with a bit of ingenuity I could figure out a way to seal the rear gate of the truck using weather strip.

So I have boiled down my choices to a 2nd gen Tacoma (I think the 2012+ is best) with a high quality cab high shell. I’m considering a double cab long bed. My thinking is I could remove the rear seats and place bins in that area. I could bin the seldom used repair items on the bottom and maybe stack the car camping bins above. Of course there are downsides to the double cab LB and I’m not crazy about automatic transmissions although they are about extinct anyhow.

With regards to the access cab, a major improvement is the extended cab access. This is a night and day improvement for me. I don’t even know if both sides have the door? As far as putting down bins it appears to have the floor hump but I could put in a box structure to level the floor and put seldom used items in the box structure. My only concern is that in my truck this is probably not practical because there is only about 20” between the rear of the seat (all the way back) and the back seat cushion. I’m wondering if this distance is any greater on the second gen? Also removing the cushions may help, mine are a fold down to sit arrangement. So a specific question I have is perhaps someone with a second gen can measure from the back, bottom of the front seat (slid all the way back) to the back cushion (for equal comparison) and give me an idea of how thick the cushion is also.

Thanks for reading my long post, just wanted to get advice from people who actually use their trucks for activities similar to mine. My goals are a bit more comfort, a bit more power and organized storage.

P.S. Just to drive it home that even someone like me needs very good off road capability I will relate the following experience. Just last Sunday I was in Utah at Buckskin gulch for a day hike. When I went down the road (signed impassible when wet) it was light sprinkles but the road had just been graded and was smooth and dry. There were about a dozen vehicles parked at the trailhead, many were guides but no one around. Shortly after arrival at the trail head a thunder storm passed overhead and it was like the gates of hell opened. Very hard rain and lightning strikes so close it set off car alarms. So I decided to abandon my plans and head out. There is only one moderate grade exiting near the trailhead.

As I went up the grade immediately the truck was wandering all over the road. I could scarcely believe what was happening. I had to stop and reverse at one point because I was headed for a ditch. I put it in 4 wheel drive and hit the locker button which allowed some forward motion but it was still all over the road. Luckily it was not off camber (and it was a bit rutted) or it would have been impossible to keep it out of the ditch. It seems that the soil in much of Utah has an extremely high clay content and it’s literally like ice when wet. Admittedly my tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs) are very worn which was probably a big factor. Getting stuck in a location like that, even though it not that remote would definitely ruin your day.

My first thought here is to just keep what you've got. You need more sound deadening, then just spend $100 to get that done. Sleeping? If the bed doesn't work, then maybe an RTT will do (as much as I don't care for them personally). Power/gearing wise, if you're not doing any hard core offroading, I would personally get 32" tires (265/75/16) but maybe get more aggressive tread, i.e. KM3 or ST Maxx. What you experienced at Buckskin was solely a tire issue. Although I guess ATRAC on the later gen Tacoma's may help there. But what'd be even more effective is getting a winch installed on your current truck.

But if you must upgrade, I'd say any 2nd gen would do. 12+ gets the facelift, which I do like. I would keep the Access Cab/6MT platform and do an above cab shell. There are products available to keep the dust out. That clamshell door is pretty nice, too (they open on both sides).

toyota-tacoma-access-cab-black.jpg

jasmtis

I'm not really seeing how a newer truck fixes any of your issues, besides noise and grades. What you need in either case is to rethink your gear storage and sleeping situation. Maybe build a sleeping platform or invest in a rooftop tent(or if you do end up going for a newer truck something like a GoFastCamper or Vagabond Drifter sounds perfect for you) so more gear can be kept in the bed and only stuff you like to have quick access to goes in the cab. And size down your tires, no need for 33s if you aren't doing any serious off-roading.

What you experienced at Buckskin was solely a tire issue. Although I guess ATRAC on the later gen Tacoma's may help there. But what'd be even more effective is getting a winch installed on your current truck.

The experience at Buckskin is all tire. The 'feeling like your slipping into a ditch' thing while not actually getting stuck means none of the wheels have sufficient grip on the surface. A-TRAC only really comes into play if some of the tires have significantly more grip than others(for example, slick areas that are also rutted or rocky, tires on high spots have much more traction as most of the weight of the truck is on them and higher spots will be drier soil or rocks which are inherently relatively grippy, while the ones down in muddy ruts will spin all your power away), if none of the tires have any traction it doesn't matter where A-TRAC sends power, none of them will magically have more traction. My 91 4Runner with open diffs and no electronic traction aids on BFG KO2s would do much less wandering around and feel more secure on slick surfaces than my 2018 Tacoma TRD O/R does, but would be stymied much more easily by cross-axle situations when one wheel on each axle was simply uselessly spinning with no weight on it to provide traction.

And a winch is for getting back out of the ditch if the worst happens and you end up in it. Good tires and good driving mean a winch is for pulling out other people or a last resort if you really end up down ******** creek.

alexh

Thanks guys for the sound advice, I am going to stick with the current truck for now.

I know I need to get the transmission fixed because 1st and 2nd gear are very noisy.
Also had a clicking feel in the steering and just checked the tie rods - lots of play on the inners.

I have done so many other repairs on this truck, always using OEM parts that I'm probably close to repairing all of the wear items.

I looked at the space behind the seats and I can make a plywood box with a lid to level the surface and provide storage for seldom used items.
Perhaps even make the box so it covers the foot space and the seat area and remove the OEM jack which is almost useless anyhow.
Then I can place labelled bins on top of that sized so they just fit and don't slide around too much and/or build in rails on the edges of the box to retain the bins.

The problem with the newer truck is not only the purchase price but the shell I currently have now goes for $2500.

I agree on the tires, I used to have a few friends with Tacomas and it was a me too situation.

i usually drive cars until they are ready for the junkyard (done it twice) but it's taking a long time with this one:)

Last edited:

TheCascadeKid

Observer
If you have more play on the driver side inner tie rod it's likely the steering rack guide and not the ITR. Pull the ITR boot and watch it while you move the wheel side to side with it off the ground at full droop. I just dropped $350 on OEM inner tie rods, and it wasn't until I replaced the steering rack guide that I got rid of the slop. You want the newer version. I think it's 00'-04' tacos. Below are the part numbers I used to do the job. Good Luck!

1540478965144.png

You don't mention specifics about your gear storage; have you considered drawers for the box, or even just a platform? I made a simple plywood platform for the box on my old '89 p'up and it allowed me to store a lot below it while still having a good sleeping platform. Pipe legs in the corners and turnbuckles hooked to D-rings and the bed tie down points makes it very sturdy. It does reduce headroom, but not terribly. Additionally, I attached a couple of D-rings to the tailgate, and would thread a cable bike lock between these points on the closed tailgate and the platform, effectively locking the tailgate closed and providing some theft protection for everything underneath. Nothing is theft-proof, but this wasn't too expensive and it worked pretty well.

Not sure how your shell is secured, but maybe look at upgrading clamps or hardware so it doesn't shift? I've had a half dozen shells on Toys over the years and if you keep them tight you can wheel pretty hard and keep them fixed and sealed.

Your traction comments remind me of a similar situation I had hunting in South Dakota many years ago. I was in my 1st Gen 4Runner ( lifted, tru-tracs fr/rr, BFG 33x10.50 AT's), and it started raining while we were on what I thought were solid gravel roads. Within 15 mins I could barely turn around on the road and stay on the center of the crown to get about 5 miles back to pavement. The worst part was spinning the clay mud up on all the windows to the point I used all the drinking water I had to keep cleaning a peephole to see to drive. Spent $25 in quarters at a coin wash to clean up, and I can still find that clay soil on parts of the frame even now...

daopi

I think it’s time for you to see-touch-drive a second gen Tacoma. All this talking makes no sense. You are the one who needs to experience the newer trucks. Bring your measuring tape while you go for drive test.

dman93

Adventurer
I’m not the most organized storage person either, so I relate to @alexh ’s situation. I’ll say that the best feature of my DCSB relative to my ‘97 XtraCab is the back seat access ... not the seating, or the power train or the creature comforts, maybe not even the fact it was 200K miles younger when I bought it. The rear seat storage access with opening doors, regardless of where the hinges are, is a game-changer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman