Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Confessions of a novice rider part one: Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so

My new-to-me motorcycle doesn't have a clock, I don't wear a watch and my cellphone is buried deep in a pocket so I have absolutely no idea what the time is when I'm riding.

At first I considered installing a clock. After a couple of days I realized I really don't care what the time is. Bloody brilliant, this motorcycle thing! :bike_rider:

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
It drives me nuts not to have a clock on a bike....I just went and bought a cheapo one from Target, removed the band, and used velcro to attach it somewhere to the bike...

Of course, I commute to court and appointments....so being late isn't acceptable...

-H-

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
My GPS has a clock display. I'm the kind of person who has to know what time it is and where I am.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
No clock for me unless OTHERS are counting on me for something. If I'm on a solo trip on my dirt bike I love not knowing where I am or what time it is.

viatierra

Explorer
I was once told that Americans wear their Gods on their wrist.

Hmmm, I thought I was done as a theist. Oh well, is it 5:00 yet?

Spikepretorius

Explorer
The sun tells me the time.
I'm accurate to within absolute max 30minutes.
Usually within about 10 minutes.
Practice it and you'll get it right. Give it a go

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i only wear a watch cuz i like the watch (looks cool, gift from father inlaw)

i rarely actually use it...lol..

its one of these...you can see all the cogs and gear-thingy's move

PR_129335.jpg

all i ever worry about is when i get to work, my jeeps radio clock does just fine in this regard....when i leave is up to me...:)

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Weekdays at work, I wear a watch. I have a schedule to keep.
Evenings and weekends, no watch. Who cares what time it is?!
I may wear it though if I have to be somewhere for an appointment, meet for dinner, etc.
But it feels better not to have the watch on....an illusion of control perhaps... :)

safari.gif

Superu

Explorer
I use my watch as much for it's non time of day features as I do to know what time it is at any given moment.

hg_alterra_graphite.jpg

Barometer is very useful to see emerging weather trends.

Compass, Altimeter and Chrono get a fair amount of use and the alarm feature is great if I'm traveling on business and don't trust the hotel clock radio or front desk for wake up call.

When I need something that'll fit under a cuffed shirt I wear my Citizen Ecodrive solar powered watch.

watchassy.jpg

details: Sunlight and any artificial light are absorbed through the crystal and dial. CITIZEN uses special filters which allow a wide range of dial colors and styles.

A solar cell beneath the dial converts any form of light into electrical energy to power the watch. With regular exposure to light, ECO-Drive continuously recharges itself.

ECO-Drive's revolutionary lithium-ion rechargeable battery stores enough energy to power the watch up to sixteen months (depending on model)

citizen_eco-drive.jpg

disclaimer: not actual photo of my arm or watch! Although my watch looks identical with the exception of a black leather strap. The pips on this watch are super bright at night! Better than any I've seen including some mil specs.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
viatierra said:
I was once told that Americans wear their Gods on their wrist.

Hmmm, I thought I was done as a theist. Oh well, is it 5:00 yet?

LOL, although I thought it was worn on the waist!

Either way it looks like I'm destined to wander lost in the wilderness.

The GPS cult continues to promise me salvation. Do I really need to be found?

:)

Cheers,
Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online