Tire chain retrofit

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'm prepping for a (late) winter trip here in North Idaho.
Looking to hit one of our favorite snow shoeing spots, and will likely need chains.

While checking things over, it was painfully obvious that one set of chains was beyond saving.
then I realized I still have a seldom used set of icebreakers left from the old truck.
They are a lighter duty set, and single cam, but will work/fit better anyhow.
The heavy chains rub a bit in the front under full lock and stuff at the mud flap.

Side rails were nearly the same length, close enough. But cross bars were short.
So instead of scrambling to get a new set, I spent the time and saved some coin.

All in, less than 20$ in parts and was a great project to practice my TIG on.
I have serous doubts about doing this with the wirefeed MIG

52682782518_1a430167d9_b.jpg

52682713245_3c45315da7_b.jpg

52682713240_ce1e748e63_b.jpg

52681766702_a6983fccee_b.jpg

52682782838_9353d858fc_b.jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, but I wasn't about to add links to each end of the cross bars.
Enough bloody knuckles doing just one end.
Anyone that has worked on chains knows the pain and struggles! :LOL:

Only real concern is that I now have the icebreakers contacting a bit of side-wall.
Ill have to keep an eye on them, as they may flip and dig in.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Ha, I've reparied plenty of broken crosslinks with a wirefeed mig welder and cheap chain. It works fine! The new links aren't hardened, but for off road use, it won't matter at all. Happy exploring!!
:)

Zeep

Adventurer
Do they close a lot of the roads in northern Idaho in the winter? Or, with chains, they are considered passable?
I've never been there, so, just curious.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Roads close at times, mainly for drifting snow.
But In near 20 years, Ive only chained up on the highway once.

We carry chains for off highway travel. Most campgrounds are never closed/gated, and are not plowed. Many of the access roads to good spots are not plowed/maintained either. Very few camp during the winter, so we've found its a great way to get out and winter camp, as well as hunt for hot springs. ?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
This shot shows the last time we were up the Lochsa river, on highway 12 towards Lolo pass.
Its been far too long.... though I fear we may be hitting it just too late (snow melt)

We like to hit it late so the temps are dog friendly for hikes/snowshoes

30414148888_e511c1fb90_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998