Tire Inflation

WMDunkin

Adventurer
First off I know everyone will say on-board air. But for my use I don't really need that kind of power/want to spend that much. I am looking for something better then the wal-mart special tire pump. I am looking for maybe one or two steps up. I am thinking the Slime 2X inflator ($70-75) maybe the best bet, but I am not sure. It says that it can inflate a normal tire (195/65/15) in 2 min. from 0-35psi. But I am not sure how fast that is. I know it is a huge jump over my pump.

So long story short is the Slime 2X pump a good in the middle pump or is there something else in that performance and price range?

jeeps4fun

Adventurer
Harbor freight pump works OK in that price range. The bigger one there. IMO when u are dealing with these pumps it's a combo of speed and heat, u aren't gonna air up quickly, just won't happen, but u need it to air quickly enough to avoid overheating em

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Not everyone has installed OBA. Many many people opt for the portable air comps and there is nothing wrong with them aside from staying within their operating limits. Read thru this thread as it covers lots of ppl feedback across the spectrum of air sources. Length of time to fill up is subjective given the variable tire size and initial/final pressure. Also, make sure you have a snack during air up time. ;)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/117036-OBA

NCtrail4R

Adventurer
I picked up a Viair 88P for $65 shipped on amazon, and am really happy with it. Had an older compressor that was having some trouble and needed to replace it. The Viair had the best balance of power/duty cycle/price of the ones I looked at. Found that there are a good number of quality compressors out there in that price range, though, so you probably can't go wrong. No problems airing back up. The more powerful units will connect directly to the battery rather than through the cigarette lighter so keep that in mind when comparing. Not as convenient as the last model I was using, but certainly more powerful with direct connection to the battery.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Another option would be what has become the de facto standard for most of the people I know, the Masterflow MV-50. That's a heavy duty compressor that attaches to your battery with alligator clips, and can fill a 32" tire from 15 to 35 PSI in less than 5 minutes. You can get them at Pep Boys or on Amazon.com for around $60, less if you get them on sale.

Bretthn

Explorer
One more vote for the MV50. I love mine! It has been used to reinflate tires on three vehicles back to back with no cooling time in between. They were all 33s and my little compressor still works as good as the day I bought it.

FirerescuePW

Another option would be what has become the de facto standard for most of the people I know, the Masterflow MV-50. That's a heavy duty compressor that attaches to your battery with alligator clips, and can fill a 32" tire from 15 to 35 PSI in less than 5 minutes. You can get them at Pep Boys or on Amazon.com for around $60, less if you get them on sale.

I agree with this. I think the name on the box that I bought at Pep Boys was Typhoon. Several people I know have them and have no issues.

However, I must add my story to this discussion. The first unit I bought ran but would not pump air. It turns out the hose was plugged during the manufacturing process. Pep Boys exchanged it, no questions. The second unit quit on the first tire. Exchanged again, no problem. The third unit has been flawless. As I said, friends with this unit have have had no issues.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I have a Viair 85P that works great. Small enough that it's easy to pack away but has enough grunt to do the job. It's a bit slow, but it gets there with no fuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears