Tire replacement: All Terrain or Highway?

Bucky

Observer
Hey Gang,

Been a while.

I'm replacing the tires on my 2012 GMC Sierra 1500, ext. cab, 4WD, Z71. Vehicle has 90,000 miles on it. The heaviest load will be my 2004 Four Wheel Hawk camper. Most driving now is on paved roads, with some state parks and wildlife areas thrown in. Snow not an issue in Coastal Carolina.

The current tires are Bridgestones, E load rating, 10-ply. I won't make that mistake again! They replaced the OEM Goodyear all terrains. I'm going back to a 4-ply tire.

Anyway, I'm thinking of grabbing a set of Coopers on Black Friday deals online, either the HT2 Evolution or Discoverer All Terrain. Both have 60,000 mile warranty.

I know the pros and cons for each tire type. I'm looking for the thoughts of those who've made the switch from all terrains to an HT (highway) tire, and whether you were satisfied with the results. Also, anyone who wants to weigh in my Cooper choices or other tire you'd like to recommend.

Thanks!
Bucky
Oriental, NC

pigsammy

Coopers are great tires!
An all season vs all terrain will likely meet your needs just fine, that's what my Dad runs without any trouble. (similar use, also coastal Carolina). You could look to pick up a set of light tire cables as insurance.

tacollie

Glamper
X2 for the Michelin LTX. Just make sure you get one rated for your load.

jbaucom

What pressure are you running in your load range E tires? I real can’t tell much difference in the OE p-metric tires and load range C or E with 1/2-ton appropriate pressure.

Nailhead

I didn’t read anything about winter conditions, but I have a set of Cooper Discoverer Something-or-others and I won’t run them in the winter because they’re terrifying. In the winter the Duratracs do the work. Much better traction on snowy roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12