Tires...

NewFoundFreedom

Adventurer
It seems like the everlasting question that never goes away...

What tire should I go with?

The ones I have on right now are really bad. The lift for the Sorento should be here in around 30-40 days. So I will be purchasing tires at the same time.

I am thinking they will be in the range of a 265 70 R16. I dont know yet.

What options do I have what is the width part and the tall part of the tire?

Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 5,644, curb weight (lbs) 4,345, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 3,501 and max payload (lbs) 1,299

It seems like I slide all over with what I have on there now. Hard compound or rubber or they are not the right tire for the Sorento.

The kit is 2 inches.

The tires I am looking at are the Terra Grapplers, Cooper Discover ST. (I really like this one) The BFG KO. I ran these on a couple Jeeps I had and they seemed to slide alot. But they were not the KO and it was a while back so they may have changed.

I do about 75-80% on road. Lots of snow driving in the winter. When I am off road it is dirt road stuff nothing to hard core. Its more overlanding.

Thanks for all your help, advice and sugestions guys!

digitaldelay

Explorer
What about keeping the stock width (245) and just increasing the profile a bit (to 75 from 70)? A narrower tire will be better in almost every condition, and the extra sidewall of a 75-series tire will give you and extra 1/2 inch of diff clearance. With your 2" lift, a slightly taller tire should fit easier than a taller and wider tire.

As for the type of tire, I've read good things about both the Firestone Destination A/T and the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor.

Jason

NewFoundFreedom

Adventurer
I will look at both of those tires. So the 245 is the width. I would rather have a taller thinner tire anyway. I didnt know I could do that. It digs better in mud and snow. I like your thinking!

NewFoundFreedom

Adventurer
Thanks Jason. That was great. Makes better sence now. It will also limit what tires I can get in a 245 75 R16 or 245 80 R16. Nice to know.

Gurkha

Adventurer
Yokohama Geolandar AT and AT-S, two excellent tires which are noiseless, have excellent on road grip and life and yet, are very good off road, even in moderately extreme terrains. They are also good in snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears