tires

foxhunter

Adventurer
The biggest hassle I have had with my truck, GVWR 33k lb, is getting tires. The recommended Michelin 395/85R20 XZL have been been difficult to get.I guess the military pretty much buys them all up. Getting the new old stock, means getting a 10 year old tire that has been sitting in a warehouse. They may be unused but they are not new aas they still oxidize and deteriorate with time. I have not gotten more than 2-3 year's use before they start to crack. Driving a 23k lb U500 on 10 year old tires into the middle of nowhere with sidewall cracks does not give one much comfort. I just recently bought my first set of new tires, but no heavy truck tire sales east of the Mississippi could get me new ones, so I just drove to LaJunta, Co to get them. I had considered changing rims to the 22.5 and going with 445/65R22.5 XZL. They are easier to find new and half the price. But I have to use one piece rims with those, which make them difficult if not impossible to change in the field compared the the 2 piece Hutchison rims I have now. These tires are rated, I believe at 65mph, while the 395's are rated to 55 mph. Michelin does now have the xzl2, rated to 68 mph, but good luck finding them as well, and I am not sure the tread is as thick as the XZL anyway. It has been so frustrating, and now that I have new ones on for the first time in the 7 years I have owned the truck, it is quite a relief. Anyone have experience similar, and how have you resolved your issue?

shade

I don't know if this is a fair price, but they appear to be new stock, and I've ordered other tyres from SimpleTire without incident. I believe you could pick them up if free shipping wasn't part of the deal. Given the lower volume they may sell of that tyre, I'd ask for the date codes of the actual tyres to avoid getting ones from 2010.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Link is for the wrong size? Foxhunter is looking for 395/85's not 365/80's? I did a search on the website but couldn't find any 395s.

shade

Link is for the wrong size? Foxhunter is looking for 395/85's not 365/80's? I did a search on the website but couldn't find any 395s.
Good catch. I copied from his post and searched based on that, but didn't notice the result was off.

SimpleTire does list it, but it must be a special order. I'd give them a call if I was shopping that tyre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior