To Build my own pop top camper on my 97 Astrovan, or not to build.

Hello Overlanders!
I have a 1997 Astro Cargovan AWD, with some bigger tires and a slide out kitchen I built in the back. I am greatly enjoying my van as a short adventure rig, but I think I may want to look into living in it more long term. My biggest complaint is the interior ceiling height, I can't sit fully upright in my bunk, and cannot stand in the van. I think for me to be comfortable to actually chill in the van for long periods of time (Which I will be needing to do with work from home.)
I only paid $1300 for the van, so I won't feel complete horror when I cut into the roof. I have access to tools, materials, and a place to build.
I have started to do my own research, and will be completing a plan on CAD before starting, but figured I would come here and ask about possible pro's and con's first,

Thanks.

ExpoMike

I would look at @Herbie Astro van build. He put a pop top on his and you'll likely get some good ideas from his build. It was well planned out.

Get a solid roof. Forget the popup. Cheaper, Simpler, Faster, nothing to wear out. A poptop on a $1300 van is a waste of $$$$
I mean my line of thought with buying a pop top is once the van goes, I can just take it off, and install it onto my new rig. Shouldn't be too terribly difficult to fix a hole in the base of a pre manufactured pop top.

rruff

Explorer
I'd build a hightop, not a popup. Just make it strong enough to knock branches out of the way, which shouldn't be hard to do.

You can do that really cheap, or make it light, insulated, aero, etc.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.

burleyman

I have a pop-top on an Econoline like the one below shown in the photo gallery on a Corvair van.. It is still original, and works great if not interested in sleeping up top. Pops up and down easily. No springs, no hydraulics or electric actuators. Rubberized cloth stapled to the frames. Can be lifted on one end to resemble a Volkswagen style.

Hinged on one end would be simpler.

I like hightops for less aggravation, but they limit overhead clearance, especially under many residential garage doors. When lots of wind show up, my pop top comes down. Slightly inconvenient. A homebuilt high top could be just-my-sized. Decisions, decisions.

Hallo all,
I have decided to build out my camper, but skip on the pop top for now, I would love to build one, and feel that I am more than capable. However, I feel that it is in my best interest to wait for my next van that will hopefully have zero rust.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Millions of ways to get there.... this is often in town....

View attachment 782190

Hmmm....

52975105477_39f93bca7b_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12