To Ham or not to Ham

I have been throwing this back and forth and would like to hear opinions from those in the Overlanding Community.

I live in Alaska and explore the state as often as possible and have plans to do more along with trips outside to /through Canada and the Lower 48. I carry a SPOT and thought about renting a Sat Phone as needed (God know my cell wont work outside a very small area) but, I was wondering if a Ham would be useful. I have heard of a greater limitation in it's use here in Alaska and not sure if it would be worth my investment.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Do it. It is a very small investment in time and money that pays of on trips, even short trips. I have found them to be most useful in vehicle to vehicle communication. Another use is being able to set up a basecamp communication . I went on a trip last month and used my vehicle mounted radio as a base radio and used my hand held when away from camp. Communication was in direct mode and not off a repeater. I had perfect communication over several miles of uneven terrain that would have undone a CB or FRS radio.

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
kellymoe said:
Do it. It is a very small investment in time and money that pays of on trips, even short trips. I have found them to be most useful in vehicle to vehicle communication. Another use is being able to set up a basecamp communication . I went on a trip last month and used my vehicle mounted radio as a base radio and used my hand held when away from camp. Communication was in direct mode and not off a repeater. I had perfect communication over several miles of uneven terrain that would have undone a CB or FRS radio.

X2 - I've chatted with guys in Alaska via 2 meter repeater network while on the trail in Vegas

wagner_joe

Adventurer
Take the time. Get your license, get a good radio and antenna, then explore and communicate till your hearts content...

Although an older technology, it's extremely relevant in our remoteness driven exploration. Plus it adds and extra "cool" antenna to your rig.

I hope to have my licencse by Oct 1, 2008... A Sat phone is good, but vehicle to vehicle is HAM (FM vs AM sound and modulation)

my .02

taking my test this saturday (technician). i think it would be a great asset, esp. in an emergency situation.

i have been researching the yaesu ft 7800r and i think this is the way i am going to go after i get my license. there worth a look. my $.02

jake

AFSOC

Explorer
I rarely use my 2M rig. I don't have much opportunity or need. It usually is an oddity (here) when folks at the trailhead are on Ham. It is such a small investment and such a big insurance/preparation/safety item, if I was in AK, no doubt I would Ham it up. About $200 is fairly cheat peace of mind.

rionorte

What do you mean by hams greater limitation of use in AK?

I rarely use ham on a consistent basis and primarily got into to it for vehicle to vehicle comm on the trail. But when I hit my first repeater based in Santa Barbara and heard a conversation between two guys on their morning commute - one was in Lawndale CA. WoW!

Currently have the Yaesu 2800 but plan on getting a Dual band HT for the wife for emergency purposes. With the last quake weeks ago, it got me thinking about failed cell phones and towers.

Good luck!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
For your use a handheld like the VX6 or VX7 that has multiple bands and is waterproof...
Aso when used with an external anteanna has great range.
However if you are a long ways from repeaters, the a mobile setup that has more power may be the choice (if you will be away from your rig much or can take it with you flying then a handheld is great).

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Now understand I don't have a HAM license (plan on it in the near future) nor a sat-phone but I have a different point of view.

Once you have the license and the equipment, communication is practically free.

Sat-phones are expensive to purchase as well as use.

Just putting a dollar sign to the equation.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
The BN Guy said:
Now understand I don't have a HAM license (plan on it in the near future) nor a sat-phone but I have a different point of view.

Once you have the license and the equipment, communication is practically free.

Sat-phones are expensive to purchase as well as use.

Just putting a dollar sign to the equation.
$$$ aside Ham radios are fun.

taugust

Adventurer
I think you will find that Ham radio is used in Alaska more than you think. If you are concerned that there won't be anyone to talk to once you get your license and radio, you may be surprised. Look for local clubs and repeaters on the net.

If you are looking for a way to contact the outside world in an emergency, then Ham radio is the ticket. After you get your Technician class license (basic level), study for and get your General class license (Morse code no longer required). Then get an all mode mobile radio like the Icom IC-706 MK IIG, or the Yaesu FT-857D. You will be able to talk on the HF bands to amateurs all around the world (and get help if needed). Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears