Tonneau Bed Cover as a Camper Top?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Actually, history on my idea, since I had the cover that was my first thought, was to raise it and do a canvas job around it. I didn't want to mess up my cover, so I was going to use firring strips on the underneath side and use adhesive to fasten them to the fiberglass top. Then I was going to put snaps or fasteners on the wood strips or a zipper system. Lifting it is not a big deal, but it's hard to explain.

I have an old awning frame that was used on a screened room for an older tent trailer. One section is the top bow and is at the top as a rafter and two poles at the corner and the pipe fits together. Raise one end and put the two corner poles in and then do the other end. At the foot of each pole they would fit in holes of the bed platform and rest on the bed. U bolt slip around the poles and attach to the inside of the bed rail. U pipe straps attach to the wood frame on the top, and losely fit around the "rafter pole". It needs to be somewhat lose to allow the top to rotate somewhat to raise the top. The tops are heavy and would lay on top, I doubt the top would move much at all due to its weight and that the fittings would be tight enough to bind and reduce movement except straight up and down, maybe a quarter inch.

Then snap the canvas around the top. I would have to have this made, with windows and a door, good screens and zippers at a custom boat cover/awning shop.

Then I thought of doing the trailer in the same way. But with a trailer I might have to lift the top only a couple feet. A screw jack at the front and rear with a "T" arrangement and various types of supports can take care of that.

Then the idea was just to lift one end as mention here.

Then I went to Bass Pro, where I have made many mistakes before buying stuff I didn't use, but it's fun. So, I'm still at the drawing board and have a Sportz Truck III tent to play into whatever might work best.

I have to be able to take my bike (Transalp) so can't do both the truck and the trailer.....and the cover could stay at home too, don't have to use it.

Whatever it is, I would like to have some kind of platform, at least a floor.

And, off to another issue, but related down the road, is wonder if it would be possible to level the platform or floor inside, a few inches. I stayed in the back of a truck many times and had to sleep up or down hill. And, an inner box that could be leveled like a slide-in camper would be a plus too. If the whole thing could slide in the truck or trailer, that would be a big plus!

Thanks in adavnce for you ideas and suggestions guys (and ladies)!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, by this time things changed, but not really, bought a newer F-150, it has a cover, so the idea remains.

I can add a slide in on the bed, and pop up a tent cover as I described, but, is it worth the effort? Could just go with the truck, but the trailer is handy, but not always. Just nice to think there is an option to go quickly if the need arises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78