Tonneau cover recomendation . . .

Bucky

Observer
Okay, I just pulled the trigger on Extang's 46650 Trifecta Signature Series (from Amazon) for my 2012 GMC Sierra, ext. cab, 6.5-foot bed, no cargo system. (Make sure you confirm the model number with Extang before you order.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O2PLN0/ref=ox_ya_os_product

http://www.extang.com/index.html

Price was $380 and change with my Amazon rewards card points deducted. It will ship on Monday, Feb. 11. When I receive it, I'll post back here with my take on the cover's quality, ease of installation, etc., along with a few pics.

I know there are many good cover choices, and I may have opted for an inside-the-rail cover if there was no camper involved. But, I think the Trifecta cover is going to do me nicely.

Again, many thanks for all your recommendations and information.

Bucky

Bucky

Observer
"Tonto cover" arrived. Here are some pics:

tonto_truck_fullview.JPGTonto_installed.JPGtonto_cover_in_box.JPG

The cover was very easy to put on:

1) Remove from box.
2) Unfold cover on bedrails.
3) Position evenly on side rails and bulkhead. Make sure bulkhead seal rests completely on bulkhead.
4) Carefully fold cover back.
5) Tighten front clamps. (The videos show it being done from the outside of the bed, reaching in. Easiest to just crawl under cover and tighten.)
6) Unfold cover.
7) Pull down on spring-loaded rear clamps and secure under bedrails.
8) Close tailgate.
9) You're done!

Very impressed with the quality of this cover. I really like the appearance of the Signature Series fabric. The frame is well constructed. And, the cross members are good sized and sturdy; no collapsing cover here!

If you order one online, make sure you call Extang to get the correct model # for your truck.

Bucky
aka "The Lone Ranger"

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
That looks nice, much better than the bed full of ice and snow I have now.

Can you update us in a month or two and let us know how it is working out.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
I agree, that looks good. Thanks for posting your result. If you are up to taking some detail/close-up photos of how the cover sits on the bed rails and the clamps, I would like to see them. I too am tired of my bed being full of snow and ice.

Bucky

Observer
I agree, that looks good. Thanks for posting your result. If you are up to taking some detail/close-up photos of how the cover sits on the bed rails and the clamps, I would like to see them. I too am tired of my bed being full of snow and ice.

I'm on it!

Bucky

Bucky

Observer
takesiteasy, here are requested closeup/detail pics (there is dew on the cover). Didn't get pics of the clamps, but they can be seen best on the install video: http://www.extang.com/videos/trifecta_install_popup.html

CIMG0022.jpgCIMG0023.jpgCIMG0028.jpgCIMG0031.jpgCIMG0033.jpg

I can relate to being fed up with the snow and ice. That's why we moved down to NC. Not saying we don't get some snow, but none so far this winter.

As a native Michigander (Michiganian? What in the hell is that?!) and longtime Massachusetts resident, I never thought I'd give in to moving south. But, as I got on in years I got tired of fighting winter along with everything else. Now, if I could only unload my Mass. house that is probably covered with a foot of snow right now. Smartest thing I ever did was moving south. A bonus is having so many boating/fishing options (creeks, rivers, estuary, Inner Banks, ocean) where I live.

Bucky

Last edited:

takesiteasy

Adventurer
Thanks! The cover looks great. I may follow your lead.

Yeah, each winter gets a little bit harder to take as I get older. But I do love being in the woods with lots of snow. Thinking about a trip up to the Superior NF in early March. Thanks again for posting all the photos and info.

Bucky

Observer
Extang Trifecta Signature Series Update . . .

As requested, here's my take on the Extang Trifecta cover after having it on the GMC 2012 Sierra for two months:

- Cover still looks great. I rinsed off a bunch of loblolly pine pollen the other night, and the water beaded up on the canvas cover like a new hand-waxed finish.

- The cover keeps the water out. When I was rinsing off the pollen, I sprayed directly (horizontally) into the cover's seals (including the tailgate seal). There were no leaks. This was not a high pressure rinse, just the shower and jet settings on the nozzle using normal household water pressure. Note: Extang sent me some stake pocket covers for free back in March, because the seals were deforming down into the stake pocket holes, causing very minor leaks during a heavy rain. The covers did the trick. I also have the Extang tailgate seal, but haven't installed it yet. Probably don't need it, except for very dusty roads.

- The easy-on and easy-off feature was a good fit for me, too. Now, when I need the whole bed for the 2004 FWC Hawk camper or to haul stuff, the cover is off in under two minutes, and back on in under five minutes when I reinstall it.

All in all, I can say that the Extang Trifecta Signature Series tonneau cover is a home run. It's an excellent product (Made in the U.S.A.) backed by a bulletproof warranty and responsive customer service.

Bucky

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior