Too many accessories....

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking that I need to put in another fuse block in the cab someplace to run all the gadgets I have. So far I need power for: Ipod, GPS, Sirius Reciever, Cell Phone, and Radar Detector, but I only have 2 power outlets. The cell phone doesn't need plugged in all the time, but everything else I want to cut the power cord and permanently wire them up to a hidden fuse block someplace under the dash. Has anything else done any of this or have suggestions?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Chuck, I found with my Tacoma that there wasn't much room under the dash anywhere that is out of sight. I ended up putting one fuse block on the firewall inside the engine bay, and another mounted to the sheetmetal on the inside of the front driver fender, next to the battery. I really like the BlueSea fuse blocks with the clear plastic covers. I ran most of the wires through a rubber grommet that is on the driver side firewall, near the brake booster area (comes out on the inside very near the steering column). There is also another grommet over on the far pass. side above the fender well.

Scott Brady

Founder
My fuse block is against the firewall in the cab, just left of the brake pedal. I am not sure if you will have room with the clutch pedal there...

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. I do have a fuse block on thefirewall under the hood, but the cords for my accessories are not long enough. Guess I'll just cut them and splice in new wire. I'll need to find a common ground for all of them too I suppose. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 4
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image (23).jpeg
    image (23).jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image (22).jpeg
    image (22).jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image (20).jpeg
    image (20).jpeg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image (21).jpeg
    image (21).jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image (19).jpeg
    image (19).jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image (18).jpeg
    image (18).jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image (24).jpeg
    image (24).jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image (16).jpeg
    image (16).jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 4
  • image (15).jpeg
    image (15).jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 4
  • image (14).jpeg
    image (14).jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image (13).jpeg
    image (13).jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image (12).jpeg
    image (12).jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image (10).jpeg
    image (10).jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image (9).jpeg
    image (9).jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image (8).jpeg
    image (8).jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image (6).jpeg
    image (6).jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 4
  • image (7).jpeg
    image (7).jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 4

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Don't know if this helps, but I run a thick (for lack of the exact size) positive wire from a 100 amp fuse attached to my aux. battery around the inner circumference of my vehicle. Whenever I need power somewhere, I make a tap into this wire and add the appropriate fuses. The fuses are not centralized, but it's the most flexible option for me.

Anyway, you don't really need a common ground, just choose any grounded metal bolt/screw. Accessories don't draw enough amps to really be worried about that.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Chuck, don't go cuttin' wires until you determine the voltage your accessories need. For example, my GPS doesn't use 12volts, it uses 3. You cannot wire it directly into the vehicles electrical system, you need that stupid little plug at the end of the power cord to step down the voltage.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Just to clarify that last post as it seems I confused someone.

*most* accessories that are made for automotive applications (radar detectors, CB's, 2 meter radio's, etc) are designed to run on 12vdc. Some of the other electronic devices we use are not (such as GPS, laptop computers, etc) are not, even though they come with a adaptor plug that will fit in your cigarette lighter. These adaptor plugs will step down the voltage to what your device requires, so you cannot eliminate them by hardwiring them into your vehicle as you will apply the incorrect voltage to the device.

If you really want to permanently wire devices like this into your vehicle, I suggest the following method (which I have used in the past, with no difficulty). Go to your local auto parts store and buy a aftermarket cigarette lighter plug, and wire that into your vehicles electrical system as appropriate for your application. Then plug the adaptor plug (for your gps or whatever) into the newly wired in cigarette lighter, and zip tie the whole mess under the dash where it is out of the way, and out of sight. This will accomplish the same goal (not having a ton of wires running out of your cigarette lighter), while maintaining the proper voltage to your electronic device.

Sorry for any confusion.

--g/t

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
Chuck, don't go cuttin' wires until you determine the voltage your accessories need. For example, my GPS doesn't use 12volts, it uses 3. You cannot wire it directly into the vehicles electrical system, you need that stupid little plug at the end of the power cord to step down the voltage.

Thanks for the help Brian. According to my voltmeter, the GPS plug is putting out 5 volts, so you were right. The sat radio I installed today was 12 volts, so that one I cut and hard wired. Glad you posted, I might have messed up my GPS and that would have sucked.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I was running into the same problem and sovled it with a few All Weather Power Outlets made by Casco:

P1058907220150.jpe

S

Scenic WonderRunner

nomad..........

I have that same 12V socket.

I picked mine up brand new at a garage sale for $1.00

I wired it up to my back seat pass side armrest pocket. This pocket is removable.........so I left extra wire down underneath this pocket. If I want the socket at the back of my runner for some reason.....I can remove the pocket with socket attached to the back of my truck.

I didn't feel bad about drilling a hole for the 12V in this pocket.....and you don't even know it's there.

So I guess it's safe to say.....I have a pocket~socket! ......but don't mistake this for being happy to see you! :eek:

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
$1.00, nice find. I think Walmart still carries them in the auto department. I remember seeing a 3 power outlet "box" that get wired to an aux. fuse box on the Web somewhere. I can't find the link, I'll post it if I find it.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Well, here is a picture of my current setup. The radar detector, 2M, cb, and sat radio are all hard wired into my auxillary fuse block. The GPS, phone, and Ipod all still need to use the auxillary power outlets for charging. The extra cords in the picture are from the GPS, I might run them behind the dash and install a hidden outlet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998