total newb question: Trailers, RTT, & tipping?

JOSX2

Observer
I'm a complete newb to the RTT & trailer setup, tho this is a setup I'm looking to go for over the next year or so. I've got a family of 4 (me, wife, 2 kids 3 & 5, and a dog), and packing up my X with a hitch rack AND roof rack for a weekend camping getaway is starting to push the storage capacity of the X. Have always eye'd trailers & RTTs, so definitely wanting to pursue it. I know i"d like it to be elevated about 6' when set up so I can walk under it & use an annex for changing (I'm 5'11").

One thing I can't figure out for the life of me is for elevated RTT setups, how is tipping prevented? Even with stabilizers set up in front & rear. Ideally, I'd have my X disconnected from it once it's set up.

Is it possible to sleep on the part that folds out and hangs out in the air (w/ the ladder going up into it)? Does the ladder provide that support? Looking at all pics of it, it seems like that's asking for the trailer to topple over, yet it doesn't. I'm picturing me & my wife sleeping in the part of the tent that's directly over the trailer as we weigh more, and having the kids sleeping on the overhanging part due to their weight.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I never had issues with it wanting to tip, but you do need to make sure the legs are solid. I only have a jack-stand holding the rear at the moment until I get my legs installed, but without the legs, the one issue was the suspension movement from side-to-side. With the ladder on the ground, it would cause the tent to fold is just enough that the insert that joints the 2 sections together (there the top and bottom come together to form a single platform), to pop out.

bobwohlers

Overlander
Some possible answers...

Hello JOXS2... All good questions, but specific and solid answers require us to know "what" type/design/make of trailer we are talking about. Here's some general answers: 1) Lots of folks put their Roof Top Tents (RTTs) on their trailers. It's easier to get in/out - not so high off the ground. Easier to deploy/put away - not so high off the ground. 2) Many trailer designs require up to three adjustable/crankable trailer legs - sometimes two at the very rear of the trailer, and one near the hitch. This gives the trailer great 3-point stability, plus allows you to level the trailer easily on uneven ground. With the addition of the trailer's ladder, you'll get 4-point stability. 3) If you center the RTT over the trailer's axle/wheels, position the RTT on the trailer's rack so the ladder rests on the ground off to the right or left of the trailer (in line with the axle), and you have some weight in the trailer, you may only need the forward/adjustable trailer leg near the hitch (this is what I've done with my trailer; and it never tips forward or backward). 4) You want to set up your trailer so it's stable even when the vehicle is not connected. Many times we leave the trailer locked up and at a campsite while we explore without it. This is especially valuable if plan to take on difficult trails. I think most would agree with me that a trailer on a difficult trail doesn't make off-roading twice as difficult, it can make it four times as difficult (for a whole host of reasons). Think through your reasons for getting a trailer; given your style of off-roading, they are not always the best option. As for me, I love my trailer, but in many instances, I love my Four Wheel pop up trailer on my Tacoma better. I teach off-roading, so many times I need a way to carry LOTS of training equipment; a trailer is perfect. I also love trailers for long, long overland trips. It allows me to carry lots of water, food, and supplies - more than my camper. If you have other questions, call me: 909.844.2583. Cheers.

JOSX2

Observer
wow...awesome pointers bob! Thanks!

I plan on using it just for family weekend camp trips to the mountains (me, my wife, 2 kids - 3 & 5 right now, & 50lb lab). More/less at dedicated camping areas/group camps. & not gonna rule out primitive camping areas too if I can find place to go exploring w/ the fam ;) & able to disconnect from my X so we can drive around to hiking areas. Because I put our dog in the rear, I dont load any gear back there with her, so I load my X up to it's gills w/ camping gear between using a hitch rack, roof rack, & whatever space I can squeeze stuff into on the inside. It's just a major PITA to deal with between packing/unpacking, tent setup, etc. A RTT would save a ton of space as I don't have to pack the tent, ground tarp, & air mattresses (yeah....those :-\ I dont have any sleeping pads for all of us, and air mattress is more comfy for the kids anyways) being the RTT has the mattress pad. & loading everything into the trailer.....opens up the interior of the X so it's not so cramped!

But definitely no hard-core offroading with it. I want the trailer to handle some obstacles, but I"m not looking ot go rock crawling/moab-style wheeling with it ;)

& thx for the contact info too....if anything comes to mind, I'll take ya up on that ;)

jays0n

Adventurer
A couple more points that have worked well for us and might help you.
  • We have our RTT centered on our trailer and when it's folded out we sleep with the bulk of our weight over the trailer and our legs on the section that folds out. Not that it really matters but it seems to keep the shaking down if someone rolls over, etc.
  • The trailer has 2 stabilizers in the rear, the tongue jack, and of course the tires which are chocked nice and tight on both sides
  • Electric brakes are available with parking brakes, that helps them stay stable

brentbba

Explorer
What Bob said is great advice. Another option is a RTT specifically designed for a trailer. Not cheap for the faint of heart, but Eezi-Awn and Howling Moon both make great tents, with that vestibule you want for changing! My trailer is spring over and has the Eezi-Awn Globetrotter that comes in at 210lb. I don't think it's tipsy at all. The tent platform itself rides on three Thule bars and sits just over 60" off the ground. I only use the tongue jack and two wheels (chocked in camp) for stability and have never had an issue. The base of the trailer sits 30" off the ground so most of the trailer leveling jacks are way to small/short. If I ever felt the necessity of stabilizing the rear, I'd just use a Hi-Lift jack.

There are several threads in this section on various trailer top lifts that have been built to raise a regular RTT to a height intended for their use (read vestibule included) and then to lower them for travel. That's another avenue you can explore.

I love the hitch it up and go a trailer affords. IMHO it also allows more freedom in camp. Leave it and go explore. Lock n Roll hitch provides a 'little' security from it being towed away and I put a heavy duty cable thru one wheel and wrapped around the axle.

JOSX2

Observer
All awesome advice guys..tthanks so much!

Brentbba - yeah, I definitely wanna raise it about at least 6', but have it lowered for travel.

I'm eyeing the CVT Mt. Rainier Extended as it'll hold me, my wife, and two kids....and comes with an annex. It'd be me and wife sleeping in the half that's over the trailer, and the two little ones on the overhang half.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior