Toyota Coaster 4x4 mini bus

NikolaKor

soo.... did you win the auction ????
what did it sell for?

I think these are one of the best base vehicles for international travel. Pretty sure they, and their power trains exist and can be serviced everywhere except North America. IF they built them both RHD and LHD it might be a simple change. We had several Cortinas waayyyyy back, When you looked under the dash all the bits were welded on under the right side for clutch, brakes, steering. It would nave been a bolt on conversion.

Hope you git it, love to see how you build it.
Hi Billiebob,
Unfortunately did not win, it went for about $120K + byers premium + shipping from WA to NSW = approx $135K, I was hoping to get it up to $100K plus my modifications on top of that... will need to be patient for the alternative to appear, maybe few more km on the clock... This one was 5 year old but had only 10,000 km (6,000) miles...
considering also canters/Isuzu flatbed with bolted on camper or slide on...

billiebob

Hi Billiebob,
Unfortunately did not win, it went for about $120K + byers premium + shipping from WA to NSW = approx $135K, I was hoping to get it up to $100K plus my modifications on top of that... will need to be patient for the alternative to appear, maybe few more km on the clock... This one was 5 year old but had only 10,000 km (6,000) miles...
well it was/is almost new. might be priced right but agreed $135K for a bare bones starting point is a lot of cash
personally, I like the full factory bus body more than adding the cost of a custom box, but just getting mobile is what counts

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Looked into OKA , however it is too small for two people nearing retirement age and two medium sized dogs...
Nah.... :)
This is ours... 1994, converted 2004/5 and still going strong. Bed-over-cab provides more living space.
Shower and toilet, hot and cold running water, central heating, 300L diesel, 300L water, ...................
02  Finished CamperE.jpg03 Spare wheelsE.jpg06 Seats & tableE.jpg

Here is a blog from friends who have travelled Australia and the world in theirs. Susi & Ruedi on tour (schoensleben.ch)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
ps... The other option to increase living space in a short body is to have the bed on 4 linear actuators and lift it up against the ceiling during the day.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome.

billiebob

Nah.... :)
This is ours... 1994, converted 2004/5 and still going strong. Bed-over-cab provides more living space.
Shower and toilet, hot and cold running water, central heating, 300L diesel, 300L water, ...................
View attachment 691675

Here is a blog from friends who have travelled Australia and the world in theirs. Susi & Ruedi on tour (schoensleben.ch)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
The full width rear dinette I love.... big enough to comfortably relax.... and plenty of light. Lots of counter for stuff.
Very nice. excellent overall size without getting to big.

Lovetheworld

I think these are one of the best base vehicles for international travel. Pretty sure they, and their power trains exist and can be serviced everywhere except North America.

I think the drivetrain is more related to the Megacruiser, in other words, quite rare.
The engines are not excentric, finding their origin in diesel 40 series Landcruisers, from 3B to 13BTE or something. So some basic parts might still fit. But these newer 13BT or 15BTE engines are not common at all, anywhere on the planet.
You can probably get away with some axle repair if it matches some Landcruiser axles, but other than that...
If you would drive an old rearwheeldrive Coaster I think it would be a lot more serviceable.

Other than that they are of course great cars, very capable.

billiebob

I think the drivetrain is more related to the Megacruiser, in other words, quite rare.
The engines are not excentric, finding their origin in diesel 40 series Landcruisers, from 3B to 13BTE or something. So some basic parts might still fit. But these newer 13BT or 15BTE engines are not common at all, anywhere on the planet.
You can probably get away with some axle repair if it matches some Landcruiser axles, but other than that...
If you would drive an old rearwheeldrive Coaster I think it would be a lot more serviceable.

Other than that they are of course great cars, very capable.
like your handle, I had a Rotary Youth Exchange Student whose email was healtheworld

beetlebum

Hi Billiebob,

Jeez I got mine for 13k (Kiwi) Ok so the auto box was toast and in pieces but i've had that fixed.

NikolaKor

Jeez I got mine for 13k (Kiwi) Ok so the auto box was toast and in pieces but i've had that fixed.
Hi Beetlebum, yes it was overpriced and few days ago noticed it back on the market, somebody in QLD is now selling it and trying to get $169K for it!... I guess I need to be patient... probably Covid also disrupted a bit market.... P.S. is your unit 4x4? ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online