Trailer Frame Height

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
I have been working on designs and planning for a teardrop/ offroad trailer. I am ready to start building the frame, but I am running into a problem with estimating frame height. I plan on running 265/70/17 tires (Same as my truck) which have a 31" height. This puts the centerline at 15.5" of the wheel and a 3500# 2.38 axle puts the top of the axle at 16.69" on top.

I am looking at a standard trailer spring with shocks (Open to other suggestions), and I am not sure what to add in for the spring and shackles.

1000lbs spring
27" eye to eye
3" height

I would assume this will add roughly 5-7" over the axle height, but that is just a guess. The truck hitch is at 18". but I can use a hitch to lift the ball. Just want to make sure this will put me in the ball park.

Will that give the axle enough room to flex around a little?

Ideally I would like to use a longer leaf from a Tacoma, but I feel this would put me wayyy too high without dropping the tongue and lifting the hitch?

97kurt

Adventurer
18" frame height with 31" tires sounds like plenty of room to me. If you have room for 3" to 4" up travel then that should be enough. My trailer with independent suspension has a frame height of 21" with 35" tires (3.5 up, 3.5 down). Remember, this is a trailer and not a trophy truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears