Trailer lid pros and cons

rokclimbertx

I'm debating on putting a lid on my trailer. Just wondering what the consensus is on lids. What some of the pros and cons are.

With a lid contents would be more secure but that's added weight. The trailer in question is already all steel and heavy.

I don't foresee an RTT in the future. But hauling kayaks is something that's definitely on the agenda.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

rokclimbertx

memupyhy.jpg

Photo that didn't post to original post

java

Expedition Leader
I have one of each.

Lid: secure, easy to close and have water tight. No tarping, no strapping.

No lid: Don't have to worry about dimensions, stuff can stick up past the top. have to strap and trap (if the weather is bad, or dusty)

I did make the lif easy to take off the lidded one if I so desire.

rokclimbertx

With a lid, has temperature been a problem? Seems the interior contents could suffer during summer trips.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
With a lid, has temperature been a problem? Seems the interior contents could suffer during summer trips.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I havent had the lid long enough to find out! But when its that hot it doesn't really matter I don't think. My lid is bare aluminum though, so it should reflect some heat off.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I am cheap, I went with a vinyl cover with bungee cord. works well keeps the contents dry and has held up good.
mytarps.com "machine cover" less than $100.00 for my big M101A2

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 39

rokclimbertx

I like the idea as well and am planning for a halo on the lid if I go that way...

I'll check out mytarps.com at home. Have you gotten any pooling of water with the tarp or do you have a brave of sorts to prevent that?

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I'd say the pros and cons are the same as if you were debating a truck bed cover. How you use your trailer most of the time should determine whether or not you want a hard-mounted solution.

Harley's tarp is a pretty good compromise between having a hard cover and needing to haul oversize stuff. Any cover is good if the trailer spends its parked time outdoors.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have wood bows that keep the water from pooling I also crank the tongue jack higher in the front while in the driveway.
The water runs off with no issues. Now if I could keep the birds from crapping all over it I would be fine.

MC4X4

Observer
I think a hard lid is the way to go, it gives you that added security being able to lock it.
I use my trailer for work and being able to lock up tools is an added bonus.
cheers MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12