Trailer Locks?

Anybody using anything to protect the trailer when not attached to the truck? I'm thinking if I wanted to leave it parked some place while out exploring for the day. Mine will have normal tires 285/70/17 and a special 360 degree hitch so a hitch lock type of thing would not work.

Maybe something like this but it looks big and annoying to carry around:

anti-theft-car-wheel-lock-wheel-boot-std98lb-399.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
If your wheels have slots/holes/spokes, why not just a chain & lock (insert favorite lock here) though that to your springs? Lighter, cheaper and much less bulky.

jkosten

Observer
Well a good chain or cable would be great to wrap though the wheels or around a tree, but there are a couple factors to consider:

1: with your custom hitch how easy would it be to tow by somebody else without the hitch receiver?

2: on top of #1, a chain or cable will only stop the honest or less than smart people from relocating your trailer. I know that my truck box has all the tools needed to remove such a hindrance, as it is required for trail side repairs. (aka 18V tool set with impact, grinder and sawzall).

So when designing a security option, consider how and who you are trying to prevent access to your equipment.

cwsqbm

Explorer
If the 360-hitch attaches to the trailer via a hitch pin, putting a hitch pin lock in the hole without trailer hitch would have the same effect as a tradition hitch lock. The average opportunists that are likely to run across the trailer will be more likely to steal stuff from the trailer instead of the trailer itself.

Token

Explorer
It'd take a special kind of rat to have some of the special couplers some of the offroad trailers have and go looking for one to rip off.. That would likely mean he's part of our little community of lug nuts. Most folks in the off roading world are reasonably honest with each other. On any given Saturday at any offroad park in the country you can find many sets of $600 Jeep doors stacked around the parking lot, but very seldom do any of them become liberated..

FWIW, I typically pull the receiver out of the Jeep, lock the pin in place as well as have a lock on the ball release lever.. It's mostly to keep the opportunist thief from taking off with it to quick.. And then there's the fact they'd typically have to fold of the tent and pack up the rest of the camp stuff that's connected to the trailer before he could get far. More time than the average crook wants to spend I'd hope.

grogie

Like to Camp
^I have brakes on my trailer so something like that won't fit through the wheel slots to the leaf springs.

Other then that, I am in the process of setting up a trailer and I have multiple locks. Heavy duty keyed alike pad locks, a heavy chain that could go from the trailer to something like a tree, and hitch, coupler and ball locks. And I'm still thinking of other things. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman