Trailer Planning Advice Wanted!

Redheddedwonder

Picked up a 1951 David Bradley trailer for cheap a while back. Goal for the trailer is to have a RTT right now, not too worried about power and water, that can be added down the road.
Where my questions arise are whether I should build a whole new frame/rolling chassis and bolt the box down or simply redo the stock tongue and use the stock axle and carry a trailer spare.

Option 1: New Frame
a stock David Bradley has nothing but the spring mounts welded to the box (at least this one) which would make this easy. The benefits to this would be adding a new axle and suspension, allowing matching wheels and tires to my Jeep, a little more customization like easier rear stabilizers, fender mounts, tail lights, nicer tongue due to more strength. The cons are obviously more money on this one.

Option 2: Mild Restore/upgade
For this I would rebuild the stock axle hubs and build a new tongue that would mount the same way as stock, buy trailer wheels and an extra spare and call it a day! This would be cheaper but would need to carry a trailer spare, and also I am assuming the suspension would be rougher. The trailer bounced a lot on the way home when empty, didn't put a load in to see how it handled cause someone had modified the stock tongue to be a tilt trailer and I didn't trust how sketchy it was! Eventually when I build my jeep I feel like I would want to build the trailer like option one if I went this way, but for now it would work.

So I am torn, do I save up some money and build the trailer slowly and ultimately have stronger trailer (Option 1). Or go the faster route (option 2) and eventually build the trailer up down the road, (or realize it works fine simple and leave it haha).

As of right now my Jeep is stock, so the trails I do aren't crazy, the trailer will be used more for getting out to campsites out on forest service roads and setting up camp while the Jeep gets to go explore some more.

Any advice would be great! Specifically interested in anyone with a david bradley and how the stock suspension is, also what wheels and tire setup are you using?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998