Trailer Security Questions?

cpatel823

So I have been lurking around looking at all these wonderful builds and drooling. :Wow1:

I have bought a trailer off CL that I intend to mod.

00u0u_2Yr2d4zsRH_600x450.jpg

I wanted to get your thoughts on trailer security. I see it as two issues, prevent the contents from being stolen and prevent the trailer from being stolen. I cannot store my trailer in the garage so I have to be concerned about both unfortunately. To prevent the theft of the trailer, I was going to remove the wheels and use locking lugs to prevent someone from bringing 2 tires, mounting them and rolling away. I was also going to have the trailer on jack stands so I can loop a security chain or cable through the springs and stands to prevent movement. I was wondering if these two would be effective as a deterrence to an honest thief? I see that most methods such a coupler locks and wheel clamps are easily defeated and the only thing I can chain to nearby is a natural gas pipe going into the house below the meter but that scares me for a bunch of reasons.

Thanks - Chris

jays0n

Adventurer
Well, if you go with a multi axis coupler that alone makes it harder to steal, most people don't even understand what my Lock'n'Roll coupler even is. The farm/ranch store we go to sells utility trailers, they have the wheels off and steel cables locking them to a fence, that seems to work and they're right out in the open in a less than ideal neighborhood. I would think that wheels off and a couple locks should do it for you. The tricky part is when you start outfitting it, how to keep that stuff from getting stolen...

cpatel823

That Lock and Roll coupler is sweet and the price not crazy! To keep stuff from getting stolen, I am not sure what to do beyond a simple Aluminum locking top, I do not intend to mount much on the sides, beyond my propane tank and a gas can. I will keep looking for ideas, thank you for the reply.

Septu

Explorer
I've yet to take the time to lock my m101 to my jeep. Stupid or lucky I'm not sure... but that hasn't been an issue for me (although it's really something I should do). My hitch has a locking pin and my teardrop has locks on the lock-n-roll coupler. If I'm in a major center or traveling where I know I won't need into the tub for a while, I'll put a lock on the lid and tailgate. I don't think I've needed one before, but better safe then sorry and it's so easy to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman