Trailer springs

skunkriver

Observer
Im building an offroad trailer and Im having trouble finding leaf springs that are 35 to 38'' eye to eye . I have checked all the usual places and catalogs they all like to stop at 29''. this is going on a 3500# axel . Any help ??

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Our recommendations for leaf springs are 36".

You are going to have to use vehicle spring.

skunkriver

Observer
springs

My concern is also that I want to get an off the shelf sping so if I want to build my son a trailer too that I can get the same spring. Im a metal fabricator of 32 years but finding a spring source is stumping me

Martyn

My experience with trailer springs that are available here in the North America is they are of very low quality.

I don't know what the maximum weight that the trailer will end up being, but people of the Portal have used Suzuki Samurai springs on trailers, others have used Jeep springs.

People have even used stock springs and de-rated them by removing leafs.

I'd start looking at what ARB is offering for vehicle springs, find something with a military wrapped eye with in your weight range, and the approximate length you need.

I don't have specific recommendations was we don't use leaf springs.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've done two now with Land Cruiser leaf springs (~45")... so far so good.

What vehicle will you be towing it with?

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Take a look at post #22 in the following thread;

M101CDN 'hybrid'

Myself, for the little extra cost I would be interested in trying airbags with a three link suspension.

3-4 Link Suspension?

In post #9 I added some drawings I made of a three link system where there are two trailing arms and a panhard bar to center the axle.

My preferance is that you use your 32 years of experience in metal fabrication and just blow us all away with the sickest, badest, three-link air baged suspension that has ever been concieved for use on an expo trailer.

Just sayin'

Mike

p.s. I can't wait to see more trailer builds! Can you tell?

skunkriver

Observer
springs

The tow rig will be a 2006 rubicon unlimited , I think max trailer weight will be 2500#. I think the trailer will weigh 8-900 # -dry/empty

skunkriver

Observer
springs

Oh yea, I forgot to say that this web sight is a revelation for me , I cant begin to desribe how good it feels to finaly find people like me . I knew there was more out there in the world!! I is like finding my long lost tribe after being raised by wolves. ps I cant type good

Martyn

skunkriver said:
Oh yea, I forgot to say that this web sight is a revelation for me , I cant begin to desribe how good it feels to finaly find people like me . I knew there was more out there in the world!! I is like finding my long lost tribe after being raised by wolves. ps I cant type good

Welcome home buddy.

Check out my suspension article at http://www.adventuretrailers.com/suspension.html it will give you 7 years of experience in about 15 minutes.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I'll try to remember to get a measurement on the YJ springs tonight, I have a set on the floor in the garage. I used Grand Waggy's on my CJ-8 Trailer and they are about 3" longer than the rear YJ's.

skunkriver

Observer
found trailer springs

found a set of double wrapped yj springs with a 2 inch lift at husky spring $84.79 they are BDS srings part # 004200

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior