Transmission linkage problem

biggoolies

Adventurer
Hello. I have not been on this site for sometime as my truck has been parked for months. Unfortunately I have let it sit. Today I tried to start it. The clutch pedal was resistant and I added a little force and something broke. I noticed underneath the truck there was a fluid leaking out by the transmission. So something broke inside. My wife’s brother involved in mechanics said it could be the power cylinder for the clutch that broke. The truck is currently in Mexico two hours from Cancun in my storage.
My questions
1. What could it be?
2. Does the transmission have to be removed to get access to this area?

Thank you for your help.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Probably help a bit to know what model it is.
There have been some people on this forum who have had their clutches cease from rust after being sat for extended periods.
Was the leaking fluid thick or thin? If thin, then you may have done the seals on the slave cylinder. If that's the case, you will probably have to remove the transmission to fix the problem.

biggoolies

Adventurer
Probably help a bit to know what model it is.
There have been some people on this forum who have had their clutches cease from rust after being sat for extended periods.
Was the leaking fluid thick or thin? If thin, then you may have done the seals on the slave cylinder. If that's the case, you will probably have to remove the transmission to fix the problem.
Oh yes of course. It is a 2006 FG140. The fluid is thin. Likely the brake fluid.

biggoolies

Adventurer
“If that's the case, you will probably have to remove the transmission to fix the problem.”
Fugk. I figured that to be the case. 😳

biggoolies

Adventurer
Those who have removed the transmission do we have to use the special tools to keep the clutch aligned when I get to remove it?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
There appears to be numerous part numbers for the slave cylinder, so you would probably have to check with a dealer to get the correct one for your truck.
For mine, the OEM part number is ME523205.
If this is the issue, and you need to replace it, it is not a cheap part.

1706660490632.png

westyss

Explorer
The resistance on the peddle sounds like a similar event that happened to me, the issue I had was resistance on the clutch peddle that I tracked down to the clutch surface rusting and semi bonding to the plate. I didn’t press on the clutch peddle ferociously though, I had my wife put pressure on the peddle and I went below and using a cold chisel I tapped between the clutch and plate and it popped free!
From your description I would say your slave cylinder is leaking somewhere in the housing. Check it by pumping the clutch pedal and look for fluid coming from the clutch bell housing inspection port. The hydraulic fluid for the clutch system is shared with the brake system so check the fluid before driving.
Unfortunately the transmission needs to be dropped to fix it and while it’s dropped replace everything you can.

Special tools are required for some stuff depending on how invasive you get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online