Tripod advice

\\'anderer

Adventurer
I have been looking at getting a new tripod. My old one disappeared when I moved. I think it ended up in the same place, where missing socks from the dryer go.

Anyway, I am looking for a quality tripod. I want something sturdy enough to support a camera with a telephoto lens. Tripod weight is a consideration as it will be used when hiking. My wife enjoys macro photography so flexibility is important.

What would you recommend for something in the $200 range. Is there something really good for less, or do I need to spend more$$. I like the Gitzo, but cannot see spending $500+.

Priorities
1.Stable and can be used close to ground level
2.Not cost more than the camera did, (1 arm 1 leg)
3.lightweight

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Robthebrit

Explorer
I have a uni-loc major 1220, its a free form tripod with sealed legs so will stand in salt water and is awesome for uneven terrain. It will allow you to point the camera in any direction, including upside down or straight down.

http://www.ukray.com/uniloc/standard.htm

It is quite heavy for a tripod (6.8 pounds for the 1220) but its never going to break. I really like it, great for macro work, but I wouldn't want to hike with it.

I am not sure how difficult they are to get in the US, I got mine in the UK about 15 years ago. They haven't changed a bit since I bought mine and that in my books thats a good thing.

There is a funny story about this tripod, when I moved to the US I shipped everything that I wanted to bring but I forgot the tripod, so I checked it as luggage on the plane. However, by the time I was ready to leave my mum had wrapped the tri-pod and it looked just like a rocket launcher, I have no idea what she was thinking. They made me open it and that thing when through the x-ray machine 100 times at Heathrow and LAX, they were sure I was hiding something in its legs. This was years before 9/11 when airports still had a sense of humor.

Rob

\\'anderer

Adventurer
Wow, they sure look sturdy. I like the 2 section legs instead of 3. So the 1 locking lever locks the legs at any angle?

Is it easy to lock into position, or is it troublesome to lock while holding everything in place.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Unfortunately the three tripod qualities of stability, light weight, and low cost are pretty much mutually exclusive. If you want a cheap, stable tripod, it's going to weigh five pounds or more. If you want a stable, lightweight tripod, it's going to cost $500, etc.

I went ahead and traded an arm and a leg for a Gitzo Mountaineer several years ago, plus another leg for an Arca Swiss ball head, then another arm for a set of Really Right Stuff camera plates and quick releases. Superb stability, lightning fast to mount or dismount the camera, and very light. I've never been sorry for doing it, although it's difficult to get good photos with no arms or legs.

For reasonably light and inexpensive, but very sturdy, tripods, take a look at Bogen/Manfrotto products.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Jonathan Hanson said:
Unfortunately the three tripod qualities of stability, light weight, and low cost are pretty much mutually exclusive. If you want a cheap, stable tripod, it's going to weigh five pounds or more. If you want a stable, lightweight tripod, it's going to cost $500, etc.

I went ahead and traded an arm and a leg for a Gitzo Mountaineer several years ago, plus another leg for an Arca Swiss ball head, then another arm for a set of Really Right Stuff camera plates and quick releases. Superb stability, lightning fast to mount or dismount the camera, and very light. I've never been sorry for doing it, although it's difficult to get good photos with no arms or legs.

For reasonably light and inexpensive, but very sturdy, tripods, take a look at Bogen/Manfrotto products.
You've nailed it, light, cheap, strong...pick two. I have my eye on a Mountaineer someday, but for the time being I have Manfrotto #3001 legs and #3025 3-way head. The combo was about $150 or so and weighs about 5 lbs or so. It's a little short, but is reasonably stable, not terribly expensive and fits in my backpacks.

Robthebrit

Explorer
\\'anderer said:
Wow, they sure look sturdy. I like the 2 section legs instead of 3. So the 1 locking lever locks the legs at any angle?

Is it easy to lock into position, or is it troublesome to lock while holding everything in place.

It takes a little pactice to be quick at setting it up, once your are used to it there is no problem. I leave the locking lever semi tight, so it acts like a friction control, it holds the camera but I can still move all the pieces. Once its in position a quick turn of the handle tightens things up. The good thing about a single lever is you stand less chance of moving the tripod while tightening it.

I would go for a ball head regardless of the type of tripod. On uneven ground its difficult to get any tripod vertical and the ball head allows precise control of rotation and tilt. Without it you'll never get the horizon level. Get a decent quick quick release system, if you are doing anything but wedding photos you are going to need it. If you have multiple cameras get extras of the camera side of the quick release and leave them attached to the camera.

Rob

\\'anderer

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
You've nailed it, light, cheap, strong...pick two.

That is what I figured. I would like Stability as #1 priority and will deal with the weight vs price issue as I'm writing the check.:yikes:

I'm heading to Calumet and Sammy's tomorrow to take a close look at tripods. I see they both have a decent selection.

Calumet has the aluminum Gitzo explorer at an almost bearable price (1 leg). but then i need the head.

Manfrotto's seem more reasonable, and I would have to see a uni-loc in person before ordering one.

I think you guys have pointed me in the right direction (thanks), and after tomorrows journey, I should be less confused.

View attachment 5685

Darren

Adventurer
I disagree with Jonathan and Dave in regards to price and stability being mutually exclusive. In fact, I believe with good technique, any sturdy legs will provide sharp pictures. If you want light, carbon fiber is your only option. You'll never go back to aluminum, especially on hikes. You're already looking at that route, though. Feisol has the lightest and cheapest legs and certainly fits in your budget. Velbon is probably the next best in the light and cheap category. I love my Velbon El Carmagne 630 (3.4 pounds), which goes for $290. It handles my 4x5 and DSLR with a 100-400mm just fine. It would definitely do the trick with an 8x10 or DSLR with a 600mm lens as well. I would certainly have no qualms going with Feisol, but I went with Velbon as I much prefer the flip locks as opposed to twist locks. The only thing Gitzo offered me when I was shopping last year that my Velbon didn't is extra dollars and weight. If you're not shooting with a 500 or 600mm lens, there is no reason to not take a look at Feisol, though there are certainly those who do use that combination.

Last edited:

\\'anderer

Adventurer
Update,
after looking at a large number of tripods, I ended up getting the Manfrotto pro 3021 . It is big and stable, it is also sorta heavy, but the difference in weight wasnt worth the extra $$ for me. It is lighter than my long lost tripod was. I also picked up the joystick ball head, those thinge are niiice. Thanks for all the input guys.:wavey:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Perhaps I'm cursing this entire thread by bringing up a Chinese-made alternative by Amvona. I just purchased this unit for what I consider just one leg.

At this point in my life super lightweight isn't that important. This one weighs 8 lbs, which I'd consider heavy. Seriously though, I've got a Wal-Mart special for $14.99 to use on backpacking and hiking trips. I only use 100 ISO film with a 35mm - perhaps that will change one day, but a cheap tripod is far more stable than hand holding. I don't know if I'll evet come to the point where I'd justify a $500 thing that holds my camera. I'm either cheap or I lack vision for professional growth. God forbid if it's both.

But when I got this Amvona tripod, I was genuinely impressed with the baked enamel finish, the grip-release ball joint head (with tension adjustment), rapid locking leg and height adjustment, and the ability to bring the camera about 30" off the ground at the lowest point. I hope I'm not a sucker, because I think it's quite nice. They are undercutting the market by selling cheaply on eBay, so I picked it up for $100.

I could share photos if you want . . .

Last edited:

\\'anderer

Adventurer
articulate said:
I don't know if I'll evet come to the point where I'd justify a $500 thing that holds my camera. .

Exactly, I could not justify that kind of cost. For $500 I could buy an old truck and duct tape the camera to the roof and have a gas powered quadrapod that would carry me around instead!!:hehe: Seriously though, I did not want my Camera and lens to fall over from a weak, flimsy $10 tripod either, i was looking for the correct price vs quality point I could live with.

In usual chineese fashion, those tripods look almost exactly like gitzos and manfrottos, but the price is great, they even offer a carbon tripod hmmmm.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior