Truck bed bike setup discussions

TwinStick

Explorer
Starting this thread to discuss the plethora of options.....but also new ideas.

I started out making my own bed cover out of 2x4's & 3/4" plywood. Painted it red to match the paint on our 2000 Dodge Dakota quad cab. Bought 4 block heads from Grabber and made my own tire trays from pvc pipe, cut in half, and I made 2 slots in each for the tire strap. Worked excellent. Still have the parts.

Next we had a 2004, 2500 Dodge Ram quad cab. I put a Weather- Guard tool box in the bed. Modified it. Used the block heads and mounted them to the top, and seriously reinforced the backside of mounts. Worked great. Sold the toolbox after I removed the bike mounts. Still have them.

Then we had the 2008 Dodge Power Wagon. Put an ARE MX cap on it. Bought a Grabber 2" reciever 4 bike rack. It worked great for normal bikes but more difficult for mtb w/suspension. Still have it.

Bought a Thule 4 bike rack for Wife's Forester. Only use it for 2 bikes. It fits 1.25 & 2" receivers. Works great. Wife is out biking now, using the rack. Going to have to use it to bring the new bike home sometime soon. I know I shouldn't use it but I plan to use foam padding between the bike frame/bike rack. Bike is a Specialized Status 160.

I think that carrying bikes could be easier. For example, I can't figure out why nobody has incorporated a fold down tray on the sides of truck caps, to easily and securely mount and transport bikes. Especially on the overland bed racks. There is no reason not to have more options for the consumers.

Also, I feel that the leaders in the bike transport industry are obligated to push the envelope, with more technology and simple solutions to the unnecessary complex issues of bike transport.

I purchased a bike repair stand from our local REI last night. While there, I got chatting with a young man and his son. He told me his recent nightmare. He has a family of 4, and a name brand 4 bike hitch rack. He said he had regular bikes, no ebikes, on it & 2 were children's bikes. Weld broke just enough to lower the bikes and tires & rims dragged for 5-10 miles and destroyed the wheels and tires on the 2 adult bikes. I asked the brand, he told me and we have a 4 bike hitch rack from the same Manufacturer. I will keep a close eye on it now. Lol

If moderators think this is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Build it and they might come.

In my cycling racing days we just popped off the front wheel and loaded the bikes in the trunk of a car, 2 fit in a '65 Impala, SS 396, three fit in a '64 Cadillac Deville, "we" didn't own a truck, if we had we wouldn't need to remove the front wheels.

Really can't picture a fold down tray on the sides of a truck cab to hold bikes, seems like that would have issues, like getting in and out of the truck and being too wide with a full size truck.

TwinStick

Explorer
Lol, what I meant was: on a truck cap or overland bed rack, on the sides of it. Kinda like fold up when not in use, when in use, just remove the inside pedal and you can carry 2 bikes, 1 on each side. If made out of 1/4" aluminum, it should easily support a bike.

That way you could still use the entire bed and or the back seat for other things at the same time. Just my thoughts outloud. Ymmv.

With bikes costing outrageous amounts of money, people don't want dents or scratches in their carbon fiber or aluminum or alloy frames. So, the more options for consumers, the better it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior