Truth about new Defender

MLu

Adventurer
I think it really depends on who they make it for. If it's for the weekend warriors and Mall-Terrainers it can be pretty much anything as long as it looks cool and works off road. If they plan on making it for mining corporations, military buyers, the UN and, well, Africa, then we may very well get a capable, reliable and easily repairable vehicle. Frankly, despite the increase in interest in overlanding, offroading and general outdoorsiness, I suspect the corporate and military buyers are a bigger market for a niche product. The role of the Defender in the LR lineup is, after all, to carry the torch of legacy and off-road capability so that the vehicles they actually sell - the baby Range Rovers and sporty Discos - have something to rub off on, without the legacy people might realize that they really are just paying for the privilege of having an oval-shaped logo on the back.

The other alternative is that it's too soft, nobody takes it seriously and they run with it for five years and nobody buys it because it's rubbish, it drags down the brand and they quietly kill it off after a while. Ooor... it's too soft for us armchair explorers or anyone remotely interested in an old Defender to care about it, but absolutely everyone and their grandmother wants one because it's a Defender that you can actually drive, after which they make it progressively softer until we have something called a Defender Sport, likely based on a Civic.
[/rend]

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
You jest about the Defender Sport but its a real thing coming to a showroom near you - trust me.

If you want to know what the next Defender will be - picture a vehicle that is half way between a JK and a G wagen. With 4 wheel independent suspension and a bit of an edgy FJ Cruiser vibe going on.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I recall that the next "Defender" is suppose to be a product line, not a single vehicle. If so I would expect the Discovery / Discovery Sport "line" strategy to carry over to the Defender as multiple products. As it stands now the new Discovery strategic direction feels like the emergence of a CUV/minivan line. Hits the soccer mom checklist but misses the homeowner who needs utility.

LR Max

Local Oaf
It'll probably be something built on the discovery 5 platform. Independent suspension and open top. Solid mall cruiser.

Also does anyone have a REAL photo of the new defender and not just a recycled photo of the DC100?

Red90

Adventurer
It'll probably be something built on the discovery 5 platform. Independent suspension and open top. Solid mall cruiser.

Also does anyone have a REAL photo of the new defender and not just a recycled photo of the DC100?

Apparently the RRS platform.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Sources from the dealer who have been involved in training on future product lines . Will supposedly be the rr sport / discovery 5 chassis. Choice of eas or coils, ability to build and add features, like what you can do with the discovery 5 online. Utilitarian version that can be hosed out, doors and top removed, up to a bigger , loaded, more luxurious model ... a few of the things I've been told.

As with the new discovery lineup, if they introduce the "sport" version or equivalent first many of us will likely be disappointed, just as the new full size D5 is a completely different vehicle than the disco sport. Hopefully they launch the new defender lineup in a better way.

KMET

Adventurer
OK, I'll say it.... Looks like a cross between Jeep JK or some sorta lifted Mini Cooper.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12