Tundra vs 5.9 Cummins - Help!

Clutch

<---Pass
I tend to break 1/2 tons.

So its 3/4 ton or greater, only.

So Im "stuck" with less than stellar MPG.

Although the 5.0 with a 10-speed does sound promising.

My Tacoma refuses to die...1/2 Ton with a big ol' V8 will seem nuke proof to me. Will spend most of its' time doing a 60 mile round trip commute.

Truck seems silly for commuting but the better half won't let me get a car with all the Semi's and other big pickups on the road here.

Don't want to spend the money for two vehicles either so need a one do-it-all. May get a camper for it one day, most likely be a shell ATC, as I don't need too many frills, or just simple enclosed trailer with a flip out bed.

See you can grab one of those for $1500 and install it yourself.

http://www.united-trailers.com/Pop-Out-Tent

rruff

Explorer
My Tacoma refuses to die...1/2 Ton with a big ol' V8 will seem nuke proof to me.

The Tundra is a beast IMO. Had a good chuckle when the guy said it was underpowered with big tires or loaded. Sure seemed to accelerate better than the Ford and GM trucks with gas V8s that I drove.

Compared to my old Toyota 2wd, the Tundra is 2x the weight (literally) and over 3x the power.

Dalko43

Explorer
Hell, with those size trucks you can park it anywhere you damn well please, right!?

It is some of the trails I take that worries me, some places I like to go I can barely fit a 1st Tacoma...IIRC the F150 is 14" wider. Approach angle looks horrible too (don't know the actual numbers off hand, will have to look it up)

Though with a lift it doesn't look too bad, of course mileage goes to ******** then...(stock Taco is pretty much ready to go right off the dealer floor, don't need to lift them)

View attachment 414342

New midsizes are super close to my old '76 F250. Track width of the 3rd gen Taco is at 63" and some change, and the old Ford was 64ish. Crazy how the new "small" trucks are nearly the size of the old fullsizes.

Some of those 1/2 tons are just about the same footprint and size as crew cab 3/4 tons; some are actually bigger.

Except for engine options and suspension, it's hard to view them that differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
The Tundra is a beast IMO. Had a good chuckle when the guy said it was underpowered with big tires or loaded. Sure seemed to accelerate better than the Ford and GM trucks with gas V8s that I drove.

Compared to my old Toyota 2wd, the Tundra is 2x the weight (literally) and over 3x the power.

Yeah, I drove my buddy's Tundra... beastie for sure. They all are seem like pretty good trucks to me, really splitting hairs over features you want when it comes down to it. Extra cab short beds work well for me, really like that flat floor the Ford has for tossing Moto gear bags.

cq5dam.web.768.768.jpeg

You can get them quite a bit cheaper (than a Tundra) if you don't mind the V6, ratings are real close to the current Tacoma, new 2018 F150 Super Cab short bed, 3.3 290hp/265tq, 7400 lbs towing, 1740 lbs payload...which is more than enough for me. I don't tow more than 1500 lbs. (moto trailer with 2 bikes). A shell All Terrain Camper should keep it well below payload.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/705895493/overview/

Some of those 1/2 tons are just about the same footprint and size as crew cab 3/4 tons; some are actually bigger.

Except for engine options and suspension, it's hard to view them that differently.

Yes for sure, but I wasn't comparing current 1/2 tons to 3/4 tons. I was comparing how much bigger the new fullsizes are, to 1st gen Tacomas.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
My Tacoma refuses to die...1/2 Ton with a big ol' V8 will seem nuke proof to me.

For me it comes down to raw GVWR numbers, and rear axle.

I wont touch anything without a full-float.

For trucks, I only buy Ford, so Im "stuck" with Superdutys

And that isnt a complaint.

:)

Clutch

<---Pass
For me it comes down to raw GVWR numbers, and rear axle.

I wont touch anything without a full-float.

For trucks, I only buy Ford, so Im "stuck" with Superdutys

And that isnt a complaint.

:)

I can see why those work for you and your camper. Trying not to go too-too big. Toyotas work well for me, the rear wheel bearings went 285K miles before one needed replacing, did both just for good measure. That long of a service life, full floater is beyond over kill for how I'll use it.

After growing up and working in the construction business, hauling and towing HEAVY...now I try to keep it light for daily/recreation, want something ...somewhat compact and easy to maneuver. Had a client in yesterday evening who had the whole summer off, they have a F350 CCLB, plus towing a boat, she was saying what a pain that thing was at some of the national parks with the traffic stuck on a narrow 2 lane road. Had to stay stuck in traffic because they couldn't make a u-turn.

Where-as I have been in those situations, and said "F" this and get my Taco even with my 5X8' moto trailer out pretty easily. I know people keep on saying the fullsizes aren't that much bigger than the midsizes...but everything has gotten so much bigger than how it used to be. I'll drag that moto trailer down some narrow back roads, can usually get it turned around if I have to...anything much bigger not so sure.

Have some clients with F150/250's, they'll park beside my 1st Tacoma, the size difference is fairly substantial.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Have some clients with F150/250's, they'll park beside my 1st Tacoma, the size difference is fairly substantial.

ANY new truck parked next to the 1st gen Tacoma is gonna look gargantuan! I was coming home from work the other day, and came up on a nice looking Tundra. It had a lift, meaty tires, and a tailgate with the word "Tacoma" stamped on it. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
ANY new truck parked next to the 1st gen Tacoma is gonna look gargantuan! I was coming home from work the other day, and came up on a nice looking Tundra. It had a lift, meaty tires, and a tailgate with the word "Tacoma" stamped on it. :D

Yeah, they are pretty big...and it all snowballs from there on up. Everything has gotten too big, think it corresponds with the ever widening American ********....

Dalko43

Explorer
Yes for sure, but I wasn't comparing current 1/2 tons to 3/4 tons. I was comparing how much bigger the new fullsizes are, to 1st gen Tacomas.

I know you weren't comparing the two. I just can't help but notice how the lines between 1/2 ton's and 3/4 tons have become so blurred in recent years (at least in terms of size)...that picture you posted really illustrates that.

Clutch

<---Pass
I know you weren't comparing the two. I just can't help but notice how the lines between 1/2 ton's and 3/4 tons have become so blurred in recent years (at least in terms of size)...that picture you posted really illustrates that.

Ahhh, my bad.

There was time when they all shared the same body, didn't matter if it was a F100 to a F350. Think they just changed the suspension...to my knowledge even the frames were the same. Think when the Super Duty was introduced is when the jump up in size started....then the 1/2 tons followed suit. Now they are sharing the same cabs again, at least with the Fords. Don't pay too-too much attention the GM's and Ram's.

Now this might be out of character for me, think that new Cummins 2.8 in a 70's F150 RCLB with a Dana 44 would be nice setup, both in overall-size and fuel economy.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Now this might be out of character for me, think that new Cummins 2.8 in a 70's F150 RCLB with a Dana 44 would be nice setup, both in overall-size and fuel economy.

Lol...Clutch, I might have to pin that quote to my signature or else you might refuse to acknowledge that you ever wrote those words.

All kidding aside, I too like what I see in the 2.8l Cummins. It's the type of engine that Toyota should have given us for the 4runner and Tacoma (and older LC's). I have longterm ambitions of buying one and putting it into a LC80 or LC60 as a rebuild project. I like the looks of the old F-150's, but for those I'd definitely opt for a 4bt...it seems like you'd have more leeway to tune for higher torque with those engines, which would suit an old domestic pickup IMO.

Clutch

<---Pass
Lol...Clutch, I might have to pin that quote to my signature or else you might refuse to acknowledge that you ever wrote those words.

LOL! 3 things that would give me an aneurysm, old restoration, engine swaps, and a modern diesel...

HOWEVER!!! It would be cool....continued below...>>>>vvvvv

All kidding aside, I too like what I see in the 2.8l Cummins. It's the type of engine that Toyota should have given us for the 4runner and Tacoma (and older LC's). I have longterm ambitions of buying one and putting it into a LC80 or LC60 as a rebuild project. I like the looks of the old F-150's, but for those I'd definitely opt for a 4bt...it seems like you'd have more leeway to tune for higher torque with those engines, which would suit an old domestic pickup IMO.

...yeah those are good candidates for that swap. 4B's are too damn loud for me. That era of F150 wasn't too terribly heavy, had coil front suspension...could see it modded with link/coil overs. Try and keep the ride height reasonable, run a 33" pizza cutter tire on it. NV4500 tranny perhaps...

Was sitting beside one at a light the other day, and got the gears turning. Has the nostalgia I like (learned to drive in a 76 F250), about the right size, now only of it got high 20 mpgs...maybe 30 mpg. Don't need a powerhouse...that Cummins has 267 ft/lbs tq, close to the current V6 F150. hmmmm...

Most want to toss a 6B in those old trucks, me... would like to take a more reserved approach.

Super Cab short bed would be cool too.

short ford 2.jpg

Last edited:

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
I'm not reading all of this but I'll present another option that is probably already disused... The Tundra is a great truck but you are right it is a thirsty one and hauling 1500lbs you will be overloaded. The 5.9 cummins is a good motor but the trucks are getting old and, weren't the greatest to begin with. You obviously aren't set on diesel so why not consider a HD gas engine truck? They seem to depreciate much faster than the 1/2 tons and diesels so you should be able to get a newer truck for the same $. You could probably buy a power wagon or newer 6.2 Ford for similar coin and honestly not get much worse fuel economy. Just be careful to avoid a fleet truck...

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Holly F-in BALLS! What's with the few clowns here who have turned this into their own battle between new diesels vs gas engines??
I owned a 2010 Tundra with the 5.7 for 100k. I owned a 2011 6.7PSD stock for 100k and deleted and tuned for another 140k. I owned a 2016 6.7CTD 6spd manual for 45k. (Km not miles)

Now I drive an 04 Chev 6.0 gasser!

Did I love the diesel, yes.
Did I hate the diesel, yes.
Do I miss the diesel, yes.
Do I miss the diesel, no.
Summers are hot and here winters get very cold, it makes a big difference.
Sometimes I paid shops for my maintenance, sometimes I just did it myself.

All your arguments are right, and all your arguments are wrong, but most importantly ALL YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE IRRELEVANT SO KNOCK IT OFF!
At no point do I recall reading the OP suggest buying a new diesel...

Rant finished. Now I can continue reading. Sorry for my outburst!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12