Tundra vs LC200 Parts Commonality

nickw

Adventurer
Any thoughts on this:

"Additionally, we wanted to drive something that had support in many parts of the world"

Is this the case on Tundra vs LC200? I know they share "similar" parts but was not aware any of it was cross compatible? Could be wrong.....

Arktikos

Explorer
Is what the case? They share the same engine, transmission and probably differentials. Definitely not the rear suspension.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Lot's of 200 Series guys upgrade the front end to Tundra components, cheap and easy LT of sorts.

nickw

Adventurer
Is what the case? They share the same engine, transmission and probably differentials. Definitely not the rear suspension.
Per the article and the quote "Additionally, we wanted to drive something that had support in many parts of the world", does the Tundra have enough in common with LC200 to have parts availability globally?

It's common for manuf. to use the "same" parts but enough difference to not be interchangeable. I.e. Ford ranger use the same model 10R80 trans that the F150 does but extremely doubtful anything can actually be swapped between the two. Tacoma uses a 8" front diff along with several LC's, including the 100 series, but they don't swap and the Tundra I believe uses a 9" front diff that looks to be sim to the LC200. I believe the Tundra uses a 10.5" rear diff which is different than the 9.5" one the LC uses.

Kayak Taco

Lots of wear and maintenance parts are common between 5.7L Tundras and 5.7L LCs. Filters, brake pads, belts, tensioners, wheel bearings, etc. Transmission is identical, Engine is close enough to swap across. The Tundra isn't a global platform (until the latest gen that is on the same platform as the 300 series LC), but it would probably be fairly easily globally supported due to crossover with the 200 series. Note, many of the other marked 200 series LCs came with Diesels, or even Gas 4.0L V6s and 4.7L V8s, the 5.7L is not the only option.

Smitty619

I think IH8MUD would be the place to get more data on this. But as mentioned, guys there are using Tundra front control arms, etc to do long travel suspension setups, including in the LX570.

They're not as compatible as one might think. Different frames (LC is boxed vs. Standard C channel), front ends, different front bybrakes, different transmission, different radiator (I think), rear axle, steering rack.

Remember that one reason LCs are so damned expensive is that they're built in the Japanese factories with different supply chains that feature generally better parts.

There's a fantastic YouTube video (I can't find it) where a dude goes through them part by part. It's pretty facinating.

Basically, the Tundra is built like a brick sh+t house. The LC is a brick sh+t house lined with Titanium and kevlar.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
My thoughts on this were two-fold. One was the cross compatibility of many LC200 components. Brakes, hubs, drivetrain (5.7L variants), etc.

Obviously anything in the rear (suspension, rear end, driveshaft, etc) are different so all of that was rebuilt before we shipped to minimize issues.

We have seen Tundras/Sequoias throughout the Arabia peninsula and a handful in mainland Europe, and Iceland so they have some additional support in specific areas. The amount of parts availability will ebb and flow as we travel.

Shipping parts from Rock Auto or EBay or PartSouq is another option.

Our other option was to take our 1990 Toyota Pickup. Outside of North and Latin America it seems like parts for the older trucks are getting harder and harder to find. We figured we would try the Tundra this time around. 👍🏻 (Currently a year into the trip)

In conclusion (ha!), not the best choice, but not the worst choice.

On another note… I think a newer Hilux or LC79 Single Cab with a camper would be an excellent choice, I just haven’t found the right one yet ;)

Richard

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
My thoughts on this were two-fold. One was the cross compatibility of many LC200 components. Brakes, hubs, drivetrain (5.7L variants), etc.

Obviously anything in the rear (suspension, rear end, driveshaft, etc) are different so all of that was rebuilt before we shipped to minimize issues.

We have seen Tundras/Sequoias throughout the Arabia peninsula and a handful in mainland Europe, and Iceland so they have some additional support in specific areas. The amount of parts availability will ebb and flow as we travel.

Shipping parts from Rock Auto or EBay or PartSouq is another option.

Our other option was to take our 1990 Toyota Pickup. Outside of North and Latin America it seems like parts for the older trucks are getting harder and harder to find. We figured we would try the Tundra this time around. 👍🏻 (Currently a year into the trip)

In conclusion (ha!), not the best choice, but not the worst choice.

On another note… I think a newer Hilux or LC79 Single Cab with a camper would be an excellent choice, I just haven’t found the right one yet ;)

Richard
Thanks for update - any more context with "not the best choice"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior