Tyre pressures in sand

Thylacoleo

I'm in the late stages of commissioning a new SES Road Crash Rescue truck for Moreton Island. The vehicle is based on a 6.5 tonne GVM Isuzu NPS 4WD. It is fitted with ATW Super Singles with Toyo tyres. I expect the operational weight with crew will be around 6 tonnes.

The vehicle will be driven on the sand tracks and beaches of the island with a short stretch of bitumen at the start and finish of each mission. Tyres will obviously be inflated to road pressure for trips to the mainland.

I am in the process of writing an operators manual. I would like to ask the many beach drivers and expeditioners on the forum what their recommended tyre pressures would be and how low can you safely take them without losing the bead?

Thanks for your advice.

cheers

Gareth

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm in the late stages of commissioning a new SES Road Crash Rescue truck for Moreton Island. The vehicle is based on a 6.5 tonne GVM Isuzu NPS 4WD. It is fitted with ATW Super Singles with Toyo tyres. I expect the operational weight with crew will be around 6 tonnes.

The vehicle will be driven on the sand tracks and beaches of the island with a short stretch of bitumen at the start and finish of each mission. Tyres will obviously be inflated to road pressure for trips to the mainland.

I am in the process of writing an operators manual. I would like to ask the many beach drivers and expeditioners on the forum what their recommended tyre pressures would be and how low can you safely take them without losing the bead?

Thanks for your advice.

cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Long time....... since this is an official SES vehicle and you are inquiring in a formal capacity, I would ask similar agency's that run the same spec vehicles. Rural Fire Service on Moreton Island, Bribie Island, Teewah Beach or Cooroy would be a good place to start. If you're on Moreton definitely try them. The main focus on these trucks is "operational readiness in all tidal conditions" on the beach. These guys have also done considerable testing and driver training taking into account our single wheel conversions in soft sand. The QFS at Tewantin have also done professional training but with bigger trucks on ATW 22.5" super singles.

image.jpg

This was the initial testing session for the Moreton RFS on the Island with their appliances running ATW singles. Photo taken back at the wash down bay but if you look closely you can see that the tyres are still aired down considerably. These trucks would be running every bit of their 6T GVM with the water tanks full.

image.jpg

I can say that the official Toyo pressure chart is very conservative but I bet these guys would be happy to share some firsthand experience with the State Emergency Service. If that fails, I can also provide other contact details of Government Services (such as Qld Parks & Wildlife, Moreton Shire Council, etc) and Tour Operators operating on the beach if you need them. Qld Parks &Wildlife, Shire Councils, etc.

Take care mate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan