TYT TH-9000 & Uniden Bearcat 880 - ??

Spargman

Adventurer
Anyone using these radios? Opinions/recommendations?

The gentleman that ownes the local radio store recommended these for my first set of radios stating they were reliable, good quality and easy to use for beginners.

i would be using these for my across the US trip.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Where you located. Is the TYT TH-9000 actually order able? I know its coming but have not seen they are available in the US. These are single band radio's. Beware many advertisers are listing them as covering VHF:136-174MHz 245-245.9875MHz (220-260MHz) UHF: 400-480MHz indicating they are triband radios but in reality they are SINGLE band radios. From the prices I have seen for the 2m version they are to expensive, You can get a name brand yaesu 2m rig cheaper, in fact Yaesu, kenwood and Icom all have cheaper 2m radios. For 220mhz they are a bit cheaper than the alinco most people are buying. I dont know of many people who would buy a UHF only radio but the price isnt bad if you need one. As for the Uniden Bearcat 880, The is little real difference in 40 CH AM CBs, so pick the one that looks nice and fits your price range.

Finlay

Triarius
I just installed a Bearcat 880 to sit alongside my Yaesu 857d. I'm really pleased with it. Looks sharp, works great with my dual firesticks - the built in SWR meter is a great feature.

I'm not a big fan of the stock mic, but then thats like bitching about the toy that comes in the happy meal.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
I am just getting in to amateur radio and studying to get my license so i have been doing a lot of researching and came across the TYT TH-9000 yesterday and it looks to be a good radio. a good place to check out radios is eham.net : http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10285 they will have a review for just about every radio.

Josh

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The TYT TH-9000 goes for about $160 for the 2m version. Like Gary mentions, this is a single band radio, although looks they do have extended receive from 136-174MHz. It's a 60W transmitter. They also sell a 222MHz and 450MHz model. The only one IMVHO that I might be interested in would be the 222MHz one since there are few options for 1.25m radios that develop respectable power.

http://www.radio-mart.net/TYT-TH-9000-VHF-Transceiver.html

For that money you can get a Japanese-made, known service record, Yaesu FT-1900 or FT-2900, Kenwood TM-281 or Alinco DR-135.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears