UPDATE - Considering XTerra, what do you think of this one?

mnutz

Observer
Hi everyone! I haven't been on here in a while, it's been a really busy year. We had a baby, I changed careers, it's been pretty busy.

I think the last time I posted was about a Montero that I bought, well that vehicle did not work out. I hated it, it was uncomfortable, and I just had issue after issue with it. Everything I fixed led to something else. It's gone now. My previous truck had been a 94 Pathfinder SE 4x4 that I drove everywhere, for many years, I loved that truck. T bar lift and 31 mudders and it would go and go. It made me a real Nissan fan. Well I've found an XTerra that i'm real close to buying, thought I'd run it buy you all and get some opinions, things to watch for.

Here's a photo...

nissanXTerra011.jpg

It's a 2001 XE-V6, not sure what all options were. This one has limited slip, fog lights, auto trans, tow hitch, 182,xxx miles. One owner, school teacher lady driven, all service done at dealer where she bought it. She showed me the records, had timing belt done at 110,xxx. Looks super clean, like the cleanest engine bay I've ever seen. Price is $4200. It drives and looks great. What do you all think?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I know of 2 people who have owned them. Some family friends had one (I believe a 2001 or 2002) Supercharged V6, and co-worker bought a 2009 new. Both of them love them, and would buy them again. The SC was bought used with low low KM's on it from a Ford dealership (trade in). It started to run funny after about 3 weeks of them owning it. They took it to the Nissan dealership for a checkup still under factory warranty. Got the call, it ate an impeller blade from the SC and was down a cylinder, oil full of metal. Nissan head office said "give them a new motor, and send us the old SC for metallurgical testing" as they had never had one fail like this (they said)?

Bottom line, Nissan stood behind its product that well and they got not only a new motor for $0.00 but they also got a brand new one for a month as a loaner. I would buy one just after hearing that story!

Personally, I have always liked them, great shape, very reliable and ok on gas (not great I hear). Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me, she looks like a creampuff!!
Greg

98roamer

Explorer
We bought one in 12/99. I have always love the Xterra, it's very utilitarian, too much if you asked my wife. My 1 gen was not the best on gas, it's not fast or spacious but plenty of torque, my wife complained non-stop about how bouncy it was, I did put on Bilsteins and BFG AT KO LT tires on it which contributed to the stiffer ride. It will amaze you in how far it will go in the back country stock.
It's still in the family and going strong with only two parts above normal maintenance that have failed. The climate fan resistor and the driver side power window switch. The engine and tranny are older tech but solid, just keep up on the schedule maintenance. I would go back to a X in a minute but I'm spoiled by the 4Runner. There's several good Forums out there for you to research that year.
Overall solid but not refined
DCP01835.JPG

BTW, you have SE rims, there was a recall for cracking XE rims (they're dull looking) and Nissan replaced them with SE shiny rims.

mnutz

Observer
Thanks for the info guys. I got the rest of the service records today, everything was done at the Nissan dealer where it was purchased, and she really did everything. Major service at 160,000 with plugs, gaskets, sensors, etc. Complete cooling system overhaul at that time also including new radiator. At 177,000 it got brakes all around and rotors surfaced. 2 new tires last week at the dealership when it was traded in. Other tires from 1 year ago. Happy new truck day!

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I have owned 2 of them..
My 2001
Xterra2009006.jpg

After
37067_436359976595_610981595_5828050_2882064_n.jpg
and my 2000
Bought it in May 2011
DSC_0034.jpg

Now..
TopRLC.jpg

I have 206K on it.. I paid 3800 for it in May.. Deal are out there...

This looks like a good one too!

If you would like more info on the Xterra hit me up on www.xterranation.org

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Kinda high mileage but they're pretty resilient rigs. Wish I could talk my wife into one!

Plenty of information/forum locations. I belong to one of the older ones... www.nissanoffroad.net

Personally I like the older 2000 and 2001 body styles. I llike 'em all but am partial to the older style.

mnutz

Observer
Thanks everyone for the info. I bought this truck, ended up paying $4000.

Planning to take side steps and rear sway bar off tomorrow, took it out today to do a little wheeling. It's pretty capable, even with highway tires. When I got home I find the rear sway bar snapped at the driver side, right where it curves. I was surprised to see that it is a hollow bar. Guess I'm lucky it didn't take anything else out with it when it snapped.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
The rear sway bar is joke.. If you look at the passenger side I bet the shock is dented from the sway bar..

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Entering the lions den here a bit but after driving several frontiers and xterra's with the 3.3 I was very disappointed in the power (esp. vs. mpg's), the auto tranny, ride and the overall quality of the vehicle against similar year SUV's. They are cool looking though. No offense intended just my opinion.

I will counter that with the fact that I have two 3.3s one with 170k and one with well over 230k both pull good compression numbers, burn very little oil and my stock one gets 18mpg on the highway and 17 around town (as high as 21 in the mountains) AND it has lockouts meaning the 4wd system is always engaged. My second higher mileage 3.3 has cams which does help some on the highway and averages around 13-15mpg on the highway pulling a small trailer but that truck is 1000lbs over stock weight and turning 33" tires. The 3.3 doesn't put out much power but will last a long time if taken care of and is adequate in almost all situations.

acasper708

Observer
Nice find! It's hard to find 1st gens that cheap in Chicago area. They tend to be around the $6k range. I almost bought one not to long ago.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Entering the lions den here a bit but after driving several frontiers and xterra's with the 3.3 I was very disappointed in the power (esp. vs. mpg's), the auto tranny, ride and the overall quality of the vehicle against similar year SUV's. They are cool looking though. No offense intended just my opinion.

The 3.3 is no power horse but its very Torquey I think in 2000 160 hps was pretty nice in a SUV.. Then in 2002 the SC was 220.. The Gen 2 2005-2012 is 261hp..
Stock I have avg 16 to 18 east in my AT The Gen 2 will avg 18 -21mpgs

I had a 2005 Frontier Same platform as the Xterra and could Avg 25 on the Hwy

mnutz

Observer
Nice find! It's hard to find 1st gens that cheap in Chicago area. They tend to be around the $6k range. I almost bought one not to long ago.

I stumbled into this Xterra at a rural Chevy dealership in the middle of nowhere, 100 miles from the nearest Nissan dealer. They had it listed on their website at $5900, I ended up paying $4000 out the door. I don't think they had any other lookers out there in farm country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior