US 2WD NRR Build In Progress

CowpokePaul

Thanks to this site for auditing my plans on paper and giving me the confidence to dive into a box truck camper build without having any clue what I'm doing. I wish we could get the 4x4 NPS in the U.S., but we went with a 2WD for our build with intent to haul 2 ADV motorcycles to target the trails. Hope it works out. Thought I'd post some pics for fun and see what hints/tips/advice come up.

End layout first:
1708616408141.png

Hauling a BMW GS adventure and a Honda CBX 500. No crawl-through cab. Hapijac bed lift in the back over the "garage" - bring down when bikes out. Small kitchen in front, 2 dinettes that also fold-down into single bed. 45gal fresh water. 800ah batteries & 1600w solar.

The build has started but progresses very slowly. Working from the outside-in.

1708616547949.jpeg
1708616565173.jpeg

1708616655349.png

Garage in rubber diamond plate with e-track down. Have wheel chocks and o-rings for motorcycle tie-down. The rear door is a fold-down ramp; a little scary steep to drive the big bike into, but it works. Bought a "drill-winch" (which I haven't tested yet) to support slower guided haul into place for both bikes.

Solar, 12v A/C install, fan install, and pre-wiring next. Fingers crossed I can finish this thing by Fall... may be doubtful. But should be fun when she's all said and done!

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
One concern I would have is the smell of the rubber mats in a confined space used for sleeping.
Maybe your mats do not smell, but all of the ones I have had experience with in the past did.

CowpokePaul

I’ll let you know! The work has mostly been in the cold so alfar sand with doors open, so we hav’t noticed it yet. It’ll air for likely a year before ever travel in it - the build is slow going. I hope it won’t be bad. We’ll see.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As I am sure you know, not all rubber mats are the same.
Some lose, or lessen, their smell over time, but I have floor mats in my workshop that still smell much the same as they did when they were new, and they're over 10 years old now!
In a large, airy space, this is not normally an issue, but in a confined space that may not be the case.
But as you said... you'll find out.

CowpokePaul

This could end up being a newbie mistake for me. I think ‘odor management’ in general wasn’t much on my build radar.

This is a Morgan Proscape box that is normally used for lawnmowers & stuff; there are 4 vent boxes, 1 at each corner. When we eventually put the walls in, I had thought to sort of fashion a removable ‘plug’ that would allow access.

We’ll be hauling motorcycles in the back; I think gas/oil will also be somewhat of an issue. Maybe I can hook a CPAP to a scuba tank or something. ;)

We have a Maxx air fan going in; hoping I can pull fresh air in and odors out. My wife is keen on this idea, and not for motorcycle or rubber mat issues. ;)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You may not have an issue; I was just pointing out a potential problem.
A simple test... shut the box up overnight and when you open the access door in the morning you'll know straight away when you walk in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior