Used 4 Runner?

Gventure

Observer
Hi:

I am a Rover guy for the last 15 years and currently own my 8th and 9th Rovers and have tinkered with more trucks and motorcylces over the years than I now care to do - at last I am ready to move to something that is less maintenance intensive and more reliable. I want to turn the key and expect the truck to go. I have a friend that wants to trade me a 2003 4 Runner sport w/ 65 k miles on it. I know that 4 Runners are generally reliable but what type of issues can I expect from this truck if it has been taken care of? I will not rock crawl but will use the truck to go camping and adventuring on fire roads, moderate trails and forays into Mexico and Canada. So, not real knarly stuff - just your average poorly maintained dirt roads. I want to get where I am going not spend whole days winching and digging.

I don't want another money pit. Generally should an 03 65k mile 4 Runner fit the bill?

Thanks, G

Whitey

Adventurer
V6? It doesn't matter between the 6 and the 8, the 4runner should prove to be exponentially more reliable than you're accustomed to.

Last edited:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Your 4Runner will be boring. There will be no tinkering, no trouble, no tow truck bills, and no drip stains where you park. Just a bit of routine maintenance, and that thing will go for many more years. I was reading a thread a couple weeks ago from a guy who had about 210k miles on his 03 4Runner. Said he had no troubles with it at all, but was trying to be proactive and consider a new truck before he wore that one out. Not too bad at all....

Gventure

Observer
Your 4Runner will be boring. There will be no tinkering, no trouble, no tow truck bills, and no drip stains where you park. Just a bit of routine maintenance, and that thing will go for many more years. I was reading a thread a couple weeks ago from a guy who had about 210k miles on his 03 4Runner. Said he had no troubles with it at all, but was trying to be proactive and consider a new truck before he wore that one out. Not too bad at all....

That's funny. Seriously. I have spent more time under my RRCs, D90, and '83 110 - and have the drip stains to prove it! and have spent more time and money playing with farkles for my 1150 Adventure, KLR, and V-Strom - I am actually ready, I think, to be bored with a 4 Runner. My Rover buddies are laughing because they know I'll get tired of NOT tinkering. I think I'll risk it and get the 4 Runner. I'm trading a 92 Porsche 911 cabriolet so there will be even less tinkering once the Porsche and Rover are both gone. Oh yea, and my V-Strom.

Thanks, G

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
At 65K the thing is hardly even broken in... welcome to the world of Toyota's, they're fun to drive/wheel but in terms of work needed it's kind of boring... In a good way ;) .

Cheers

Dave

sseaman

Adventurer
I agree that an 03 should be problem free. There are a lot of mods and things that can be done to keep you tinkering for a while.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I like that plastic cladding they had on those (was it 03 only, or did 04's have it, too?). I wish they'd kept it available as an option. Good luck with the 4Runner. If it was well-maintained, you'll be trouble-free for a loooooong time.

dustboy

Explorer
It's weird having a vehicle this old, having performed only basic maintenance, a replaced header, and a faulty seatbelt (warrantied post expiration!). Everything still works as it did 10 years ago. I keep waiting for the big cloud of smoke, but I'm told I have many miles to go.

wesel123

Explorer
Can't go wrong

I just recently sold my 04 runner and am TOTALLY missing it. If it wasn’t for the UZJ now sitting in my driveway Id be a mess. By far one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever owned. 95k on the clock and only basic maintenance. Here’s a few pics of my long lost baby.... just to give you an idea of what can be done.

DSC_0534.jpg

Bergger

Explorer
You'll love it. I owned an 02 4Runner for a while and it was a great vehicle. My buddy has an 06 4Runner Sport and it is still bone stock, even the tires. He's gone every place with me in my modified Tacoma with no issues at all. It's got an amazing traction control system and is really comfy on the hwy.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Hi:

I am a Rover guy for the last 15 years and currently own my 8th and 9th Rovers and have tinkered with more trucks and motorcylces over the years than I now care to do - at last I am ready to move to something that is less maintenance intensive and more reliable. I want to turn the key and expect the truck to go. I have a friend that wants to trade me a 2003 4 Runner sport w/ 65 k miles on it. I know that 4 Runners are generally reliable but what type of issues can I expect from this truck if it has been taken care of? I will not rock crawl but will use the truck to go camping and adventuring on fire roads, moderate trails and forays into Mexico and Canada. So, not real knarly stuff - just your average poorly maintained dirt roads. I want to get where I am going not spend whole days winching and digging.

I don't want another money pit. Generally should an 03 65k mile 4 Runner fit the bill?

Thanks, G

Ha. I was going to say something along those lines too. My quip was "there is no way you're going to own 8 or 9 4Runners".... unless you start a collection of them.

2 questions that someone more knowledgeable may be able to answer:
Did all the "sport" models come with the Xreas system?
Does it become a headache for certain mods?

Gventure, for your proposed use I don't think the Xreas is an issue. I'm assuming they have functioned well over time as I haven't heard of horror stories about them, but I don't follow the 120 platform very closely. Just something to check out.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
It's a Toyota and that should be enough. I have an 02 with 210K +/- and I purchased it with 68K in 2005.... and I dirve between 30-50K a year. While you may ask my family thay will say I work on it all the time and while I try explaining I'm not fixing it I'm modifying it apparently that's the same in their book. This year won't be any different I already have a couple trips that will net over 10K alone not to mention my weekly commute which is a minimum of 400 miles and that's not including the around the state trips. Keep the 50K maintenance in check and you'll be good to go.
P6046003.jpg

Aaron

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It's a Toyota and that should be enough. I have an 02 with 210K +/- and I purchased it with 68K in 2005.... and I dirve between 30-50K a year. While you may ask my family thay will say I work on it all the time and while I try explaining I'm not fixing it I'm modifying it apparently that's the same in their book. This year won't be any different I already have a couple trips that will net over 10K alone not to mention my weekly commute which is a minimum of 400 miles and that's not including the around the state trips. Keep the 50K maintenance in check and you'll be good to go.
P6046003.jpg

Aaron
Yep... They truly are amazing from an engineering and longevity standpoint.

After 240K + I finaly had to replace the motor because of the PO's lack of care for the truck... That said, the rest of the truck shows little to no signs of wear aside from the dirt I put in it. GO over a bump and the only rattle is from all of the "gear" (or junk) I carry and from the damn rear electric window. Show me another truck from 1989 with this kind of history and constant use that can say the same... that's NOT a Toyota ;)... and I'll be very impressed.

Cheers

Dave

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I have a 100k donor motor for my 4Runner lined up but just don't know when I'll need to swap it out. I was thinking 250 but heck that's only a little more than 40k and like this time next year or sooner. I was thinking I'd wait until 300K, but just not sure. I miss that last toyota and vowed never to get rid of this one. I am in the market for seats whether aftermarket or Factory the leather has worn well.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears