Using the Tailgate for storage

dags

Adventurer
Has anyone left their tailgate on in the down position and used it for storage. I was thinking of strapping a Jerry can onto the tailgate - is this a crazy idea. Anyone else using this approach?

Scoutman

Explorer
I leave mine on sometimes. I have a Ram 3500 long bed but the camper is just a couple inches too long for the tailgate to close. It makes a nice platform to step out onto before climbing down. I typically put a ratchet strap across the tailgate (hooked to the bumper) to keep it from bouncing. I wouldn't hesitate to strap a jerry can to it.

daveyboy

Adventurer
On many (most?) newer pickups, you CANNOT access the spare tire if the tailgate is down. I always take the tailgate off when the camper on. If I need additional outsite storage, I have a hitch basket.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your point--perhaps you can close your tailgage with the camper on. On my pickup, you cannot really even lift it at all.

Scoutman

Explorer
I checked the spare tire winch hole to make sure I could still access it but you are correct in that it can be covered on some rigs.

Also, remember that some trucks come with those flip out 'bed extender' cages that allow you to carry things on the tailgate giving you a 'bigger' bed.

I guess it all depends on your setup.

dags

Adventurer
I'm talking about doing this to a 2007 Nissan Frontier long bed with an ATC. With the camper on the back i could not close the tailgate. I was thinking of this idea as I don't really like the idea of carry Gas on the roof. I also thought i would carry two bikes upright on the back of the ATC and use the tailgate to rest the rear wheels. I could also mount a small box on the tailgate to hold a couple of pairs of shoes to stop dragging dirt into the camper.

bftank

Explorer
this idea would work best if you could keep the tailgate from flopping up and down as you are hitting bumps in the road. maybe add a rod on each side to keep the tailgate locked into position.

CKent323

I have a 1993 Dodge Clubcab W250 (4WD) Diesel with a 2009 FWC Keystone. Leaving the tailgate on gives us about a 6" wide ledge to step on or set things on which is very convenient. Since the Keystone camper extends past the the end of the bed the tailgate also protects the wood bottom of the camper. The downside is that it is a little bet less convenient to access the hitch receiver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman