Value of my truck- considering selling

Gore Ranger

Observer
Hi all,

I am considering selling my truck and would like some opinions on value. I have done some research and have an idea what I would ask but I also have not been on the boards much the last few years and am not as up to date.

The Basics:
1989 Range Rover Classic in Portofino Red
No rust anywhere (seriously)
approx 110K miles
owned for the past 11 years
well over 20K spent (most of the receipts) in maintenance and upgrades

mods:
LT230
non-sunroof
Toyota axles in rear with 4.10 gears
Longtracks up front with 4.10 Rover gears and ARB air locker (newer style)
rockware front bumper with Warn winch
rockware rear tire carrier
rockware sliders
rovertracks steering links, etc. and rovertracks rear links
NRP exhaust

maintenance:
too much to list really
heater core done
rebuilt transmission filled with amsoil
almost all transmissions lines replaced (one was NLA)
brake lines SS
full brake job last year including master cylinder (using only best parts Brembo, etc.)
tune up last year
new fuel tank, all new genuine mounting hardware, new fuel pump
oil changed regularly with Rotella and wix filters
did all the hubs recently all new bearings, etc.
newish BFG AT tires on Wolf rims

Pics can be found if you search my posts

I bought this truck as a much younger man. Now I live in a city and have no need for it. It is not getting used the way it should be. I believe it to be one of the nicest Range Rover Classics in the USA, probably the nicest early year vehicle. That is not hyperbole. 1989 is arguably the best year and mine has the LT230 and non-sunroof. I am going to see if my mechanic wants to buy it, and I want to give him a great deal, so I need to try to find out what it might be worth on the open market.

Thanks for the any input. I am looking for educated opinion here, not people who really don't know about these trucks. thanks in advance.

Jeff
Denver, CO

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
open rear and locked front??

Tough to gauge market value, as RRC are all over the place- and there are none with this high end build and low miles to boot. Really need at least a few pics for any real data/opinion on price... Range?? From $5k to $15k. As described I would wire funds tomorrow for $5k, and lose interest above $10k, but there are those that could go considerably higher. However, that price range is usually reserved for factory original low mile examples. The closer to stock, the higher the price- most of the time!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a nice truck. The mods, especially the Toyota axles, etc. will be pluses to someone who wants to off road it and isn't a Rover purist, but negatives otherwise. Mods generally don't make a Rover worth more even though you'd think they would. As Rovertrader said above, mods even cause the vehicle to lose value over stock, especially for a Range Rover. The people who pay the most for these trucks want a clean, low mileage, stock collector's vehicle. Really nice trucks in this category go for upwards of 20K sometimes on auction.

David

Gore Ranger

Observer
a few pics. Always garage kept. At the time I did all the axle mods (about 5 years ago) I did not do the rear diff because I had in my possession a good low mileage 4 runner diff and that was installed. Something for the next owner to play with.

Attachments

• IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 54

Gore Ranger

Observer
Sounds like a nice truck. The mods, especially the Toyota axles, etc. will be pluses to someone who wants to off road it and isn't a Rover purist, but negatives otherwise. Mods generally don't make a Rover worth more even though you'd think they would. As Rovertrader said above, mods even cause the vehicle to lose value over stock, especially for a Range Rover. The people who pay the most for these trucks want a clean, low mileage, stock collector's vehicle. Really nice trucks in this category go for upwards of 20K sometimes on auction.

David

This is not for someone who wants a stock truck. I am not trying to recoup my investment since it really isn't an investment. It's a depreciating asset. I am well aware of that. I do not need to sell by any means, however, this is a truly outstanding specimen that could go to an enthusiast to enjoy and use. I would like to get a fair price for the condition and level of truck that this is.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Beautiful looking truck. I like it a lot. Do you have pics of the undercarriage/interior? If it's as clean as described, personally I would pay 10k or maybe more if I was in the market. It would take a lot more than that to get a 2-3k classic in that good of shape; again, assuming it's as clean as described. Good luck with sale. If I hadn't already done a motor, suspension, and many other things to mine I'd buy it.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Wow...great truck. Wasn't expecting it to be that clean with all the mods listed :)

rover4x4

Adventurer
This made opt for the Rockware front bumper, I really like the rear w/ swingaway tire carrier. 89 is a good year, I prefer the later style gauges. I think in 90 or 91 they bumped the compression for a little more power out of the 3.9 plus 14CUX engine management.

Last edited:

Gore Ranger

Observer
I posted my truck for sale in the For Sale thread.

I would also sell the bumpers separately and I would split them up. If anyone was interested, I would sell the Rockware bumpers along with the Rockware sliders in a big package deal. In the for sale thread there is a link to a flickr album with many pictures of the truck and bumpers.

Thanks and happy Rovering:safari-rig:

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
@gore ranger - What will be your next rig if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Let's talk about the rest of that garage! What else you got in there?

I spy with my little eye, Lambo, Cobra and Lotus............:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears