Very custom XJ roof rack

I won't post all of the details here, but there's more than meets the eye with this project. Read my full build thread HERE for more details. Feel free to ask any questions....

FINALLY! After a marathon 3 days of wrapping up the details on this project (after a 1 year delay :Wow1: ), it's finally done. I have to say, I'm really happy with the way this project turned out. Especially considering I used round tube with out a bender or notcher.

It is a bit heavy, maybe 50lbs, but I was mostly using materials I had on hand, so I had to take what it gave me so to speak. Even at that, this still ran about $100 for misc. materials including hardware & paint. Kinda suprising, but a nice mfg'd roof rack can easily run upwards of $500+ and still not be as sturdy as this.

Anyway, on to the pictures.....

100_3609.jpg

100_3610.jpg

100_3611.jpg

100_3614.jpg

100_3615.jpg
[/img]

100_3616.jpg

100_3617.jpg

RenoRacing

Observer
Looks good! Very different from any I've seen, but I'm sure it'll fit the part you're looking for it to do! Love how low profile it is.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Nice work JD. I like your bending solution.

Didnt catch it in your other thread, why didnt you consider a longer length?

Not being critical.. just looking for input i hadnt considered. At first i thought you had a sunroof.

Have you had a chance to compare your fuel consumption before/after rack install???

No. Since this vehicle is not my DD and I live in the USA, I'm not overly concerned about mileage anymore....well, to a point anyway :ylsmoke:

If mileage becomes a real concern, I will sell this Jeep and start over with very minor armor upgrades. Currently almost all of the armor is 1/4" plate right now.

Nice work JD. I like your bending solution.

Didnt catch it in your other thread, why didnt you consider a longer length?

Not being critical.. just looking for input i hadnt considered. At first i thought you had a sunroof.

No worries. The original intent of the rack was not to carry a bunch of gear, but to be an aesthetically pleasing way to support the weight of tire carrier off the hatch. I wasn't even going to put a floor in it, which would have saved 20lbs. Now I'm not planning to do the tire carrier, but I kept the same dimensions since I already had the material for that and decided to add a floor.

Nikson

Explorer
Well, I think all of us USA residents can say that... Only problem is that it gets to the point sometime where you start considering (speaking for myself).

Before I put my rack up, I could say I was doing abit better on efficiency.

My main concern from your build would be the stretched steel part, since those somewhat "parachute" autos...

As far as design & looks - AWESOME. Reminds me a little of the stock Nissan Pathfinder racks...

The way yours is built though, I would guess you can lift the whole XJ by the roofrack if necessary... :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12