"Vintage" Chinook camper questions

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
I've been reading posts from people who removed "vintage" Chinook campers and mounted them on newer Toyota truck frames. (e.g.: 4XChinook4)
I've found a '74 Hilux Chinook camper that looks to be in good shape (haven't seen it in person yet).
Not a dually, not a 4WD. Looks perfectly stock. But perhaps a good candidate for an upgrade.

The Chinook camper seems like a time-tested design that others have enjoyed and/or modified with good results.
And I recently read the blog of a couple who drove a mostly stock '82 Chinook to the tip of South America- but I suspect the 4-speed/18R in a '74 Hilux is a whole different thing. (see: posts by Ericjn)

I currently use a Callen shell that is bombproof - but I'd like some added height, space and ventilation.
And as much as I love "retro"- I think I'd miss the modern conveniences & power of my current truck (Mazda 2000 B-4000).

Does anyone know if the Chinook campers were designed specifically for mounting on Toyotas?
Is it designed for an 8' length vs. the 6' of most small trucks?

IOW: Can a Chinook camper be removed and mounted on my Mazda, or any other truck, with basic modifications, additional support etc?
(There's a newer Chinook near my home that I see on the work commute, and it got me thinking of this scheme.)

The Mazda has been reliable and fun to drive. It has about 130K miles overall, but the engine (4L/V6) was rebuilt by the previous owner (I'm the 3rd) and only has 20K on it. Gas mileage isn't great, but the power is good, so I'm not looking at replacing it unless a good deal presents itself.

The other option is "modernizing" the 45 year old Hilux.
Not sure which project would be the most costly/labor intensive...

Below is the Chinook I am considering, and my current truck set-up.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and advice!

1580580596911.png

BajaMazdaTruck1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior