Wannabe Unimog owner

oilerfish

Thanks all for continuing support with my questions!
Just ran into another small problem, the mog is presently registered as an 8 ton implement carrier and not 7 1/2 ton truck as most older Mog campers are here in Europe. That means that i will need to have a class c drivers license if I dont declassify. I don't have a problem doing the drivers license but the problem then becomes that i will be the only one in the family that can drive it legally. Its rather expensive to do the class C here in Norway..
Have spoken to Mercedes here and they are looking into what needs to be done to declassify the mog from 8 down to 7 1/2 tons but was curious if anyone in the forum knows what would be required to declassify a mog by 500 kilos? My original thinking would be shocks and springs but now sure about whether it would be both ends or just the rear. Could there be stuff in the axles as well that need changing?

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Huh, they must have done that because of all the stuff in the back? My guess would be springs and shocks. The axles are 6 bolt, so those don't look to be any heavier than regular 1300 axles, usually the heavier axles have 8 or 10 bolt

oilerfish

Huh, they must have done that because of all the stuff in the back? My guess would be springs and shocks. The axles are 6 bolt, so those don't look to be any heavier than regular 1300 axles, usually the heavier axles have 8 or 10 bolt

That's a bit of a relief that the axles probably don't need anything done. Was just thinking about brakes though, do you think there would be any necessary adjustment needed for the extra 500 kg reduction?
Just went and had a look at it and will send some photos that I took. Also discovered that there are two idetical mercedes serial number plates in the passenger door frame, one saying 7490kg and the other 8000 kg. So I guess they upped the total gvw after they added the box on the back.
Regards
Robby

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Again, just guessing, but looking in the EPC, there are only 2 differences in the brakes for the U1300L's, and those are just yearly differences, hub size hole in the rotors, nothing to do with GVW as far as I can tell. There are no heavier duty calipers, rotors or pads, just the standard U1300 ones.

Its possible they just put helper springs in (heavy duty coils inside of the regular coils, my 416 DoKa had those) and plopped the plate on the door. The shocks might even be regular shocks. Those coils are often used in the front of mogs on snowplow trucks for the extra weight of the blade, and on the rear for heavy loads like a ice sander/salt spreader. Personally I'd just try to have the plate removed and get the truck recertified, but things are different in Kanada.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
That truck has option order code C25: Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers

It does NOT have: option C15: heavier duty springs, and does NOT have C13, which is Front spring rubber stops, for heavy implements.

Thus one would assume that that is all Mercedes added to bump up the GVW, again, just assuming.

Looking at the pictures you sent of the shocks, they are about twice the size of the ones on my U1300L :)

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
oilerfish,

Check to see if the axle plates are still on the axles (see attached picture)Axle Data Plate.jpg (Picture stolen from benzworld)

The decodes is as follows (also stolen from benzworld)

If its still attached to the truck, look for the load rating in Tonnes, I'm sure those axles are regular, but with mogs, best to check.

From needmog on benzworld:

In the first line A22:7 is your rear end ratio and the V31:17 is your portal gear ratio
The second line gives you your axle type, with the following description:
H = rear axle
U = Unimog
3 = Class
/3 = edition
C = Disc brake
S = Diff lock
6,0 = load rating in tonnes <-- check the tag to see if its heavier than that.

-Trev

oilerfish

Seems like Mercedes did nothing but slap on higher rating when the truck was first registered. They will supply the necessary documentation to get it through the declassification process so I went and bought the Mog yesterday!
Owner was considering trading the Mog for a Porche, but think he wanted the cash more:)
Thanks all for the help in making my choice a more informed one and pretty sure that I will be needing advice on a regular basis for a while to come while I get this beast camperized.
Robby

oilerfish

Had the Mog for a week now and just getting to know what's what. Have not found anything amiss other than the engine brake. It would not stop the motor and had to stall it to get the motor to shut down. Talked to a friend that has been driving all sorts of diesel trucks for years and he told me that the valve could be a bit out of adjustment and not closing completely. We went out to have a look and it now works! I probably loosened it up after hitting the foot switch numerous times...
Don't know if it's gonna work agin though, had to park it for the next week or so due to travels for work. Wish I could take it with me, in Algeria and lots of good Mog terrain here..

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
It might just be gunked up from out of use. You may be able to shut the truck off with the hand throttle as well (lift all the way up) mine shuts off both ways. Or if my idle is set to high (hand throttle to far down) it won't shut the truck off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998