Water Makers any good, or?

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Making final decisions to complete my Burban build.

I've seen a few water makers "pull water from the air type" out there and considering to use one but would like feedback from any of you who have used these types of devices.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I haven't used one, but I have looked into them. Near as I can tell, they are the same basic device as a de-humidifier, which is the same basic device as an air conditioner.

In other words - power hogs. I.e., not feasible to run from batteries.

Smallest one I saw was I think 500w power consumption , which is around 41amps. To run one for 24 hours would require 984ah of power.

r_w

Adventurer
+1. A waste of power if that is all you are doing with it.

IF, however, you are collecting the condensate while you are cooling the camper or running the fridge--that is a little more acceptable. Dual-use rules. But you need to make sure your gear is lead-free or you are using a super-duty water filter. But even then, they only make enough water in humid conditions when you can usually find sources.

They are not good enough for Tatooine yet.

cdnkelly

I have a Home Depot version for the house. Small version pulls about 2.5 gallons in less than 4 hours at 70% humidity. That's if it runs on high. I'm not sure what it would do under 30% humidity. However, since I live by the ocean, it will be carried in my truck in the event of a hurricane. It will be run off generator too.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I have a Home Depot version for the house. Small version pulls about 2.5 gallons in less than 4 hours at 70% humidity. That's if it runs on high. I'm not sure what it would do under 30% humidity. However, since I live by the ocean, it will be carried in my truck in the event of a hurricane. It will be run off generator too.

Could I get the model number from that unit, and the power consumption too if it's handy?

2.5g in 4 hours is impressive.

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
It's an interesting thought, but I thought watermakers are for sailors who have no access to land / fresh water for an extended period.

Anyway, I'm thinking if I'm on land and have access to fuel (for generator or vehicle) to run the watermaker / dehumidifier, would it not be even easier to find fresh water source, faucet, streams, snow, etc? In that case, would it not be more appropriate to use a RO system, along with a regular low pressure water pump like the one already in my motorhome?

In my mind, I'm trying to justify another gadget for my motorhome (I already have the rooftop A/C and can set it up to recycle the water drain from it).

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I had been looking in to it as something to run from solar and use to extend boondocking time. I usually run out of water long before I run out of fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior