Water system options for FWC Shell???

Bravo

I’m thinking of buying a Hawk Shell. I’d get the furnace/stove cabinet option. That only leaves fresh water missing to meet our needs. Has anyone got good ideas for an onboard water system for incorporating into a Shell, without simply hauling Jerry cans?

fireball

Explorer
The FWC water system is pretty good. I think most who get a shell prefer the simplicity of jerry cans! I didn’t want to deal with winterizing the camper and worrying about freezing, so our shell simply has a sink basin with drain, and 5 gallon water Jerry can sat on the counter. Easy peasy!

nastav

Adventurer
I’m thinking of buying a Hawk Shell. I’d get the furnace/stove cabinet option. That only leaves fresh water missing to meet our needs. Has anyone got good ideas for an onboard water system for incorporating into a Shell, without simply hauling Jerry cans?

This is in a sprinter van, but the system would work in a FWC as well. https://ourkaravan.com/van_water_system/
5 gallon jugs are easy to carry, fill and clean.

Bravo

Thanks for the ideas, guys. K.I.S.S. w jerry jugs has a lot going for it. The ourkaravan system is a pretty impressive installation! I see a lot of “tanks” here in Australia made from 6” PVC pipe w caps at each end. Simple spigot on one end. On top side a filler, sometimes a radiator cap type closure. Nice gravity feed. I guess would need to mount below the pop top so not to have to lift it when extending the roof. Cheers!

paddlenbike

Adventurer
The ourkaravan system is a pretty impressive installation!

Thanks, it works well for my needs. Some of the biggest advantages of the portable jugs are easy filling at just about any location including grocery store botter fillers, as well as the the ease of keeping the system clean. When I get home from a trip I pull the jugs from the van, turn them upside down and let them dry out.

I did consider a large water tank under the van but after traveling the past couple of years in a half-built van, I realized the advantages of the portable system. FWIW, I used to have a FWC and it would work equally well there.

Pilotamis

Observer
Were going with 2-5 gallon cans and a water bladder under a sub floor of our hawk shell. We’ll have the bladder on either a hand pump or a 12v pump and possibly a filter as well. Our plan is to fill the bladder with cans and then fill the cans. This will give us a decent amount of water. We’re a family of 4 spending all our time on beaches so water will be a premium to have.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I travel alone with a beagle. I carry eight 1 gallon water jugs; they are easier for me to handle and can be filled almost anywhere. That will last me a week if I am careful. I carry an additional 6 gallon gerry can when extra water is desired.

Bravo

Thanks all for some excellent info. Some good, creative solutions to the water supply issue. After a lot of head scratching over the past week, we’ve decided to spring for the cushy life of a full Hawk build instead of a shell. Cheers, and hope we meet up down the road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12