Webasto 2000 heater for $350?!

TroySmith80

Adventurer
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Webasto-2KW-Air-Top-2000ST-heater_903057570.html

How sketchy is it to order from alibaba? This vendor appears to be selling the webasto heater for cheap in quantities as low as one. I'm not sure what shipping would cost, or of anything else, but it could be an awesome deal. Anybody feeling brave and want to try?

Aren't these things usually a couple thousand bucks? There's a bunch of listings for them on alibaba, but i linked to the lowest price one i could find that did quantities of one. In the last picture, it appears to include all the accessories / supplies.

hoser

Explorer
I believe Webasto Airtop 2000's are made in Germany. So, you would be buying a highly combustible cloned heater made in China.

tibfibber

Observer
well, a quick glance through some of the listings, show some decent feedback with a handful of folks having installed the heaters (I was looking at JP China Trade's listing, which has the heater at 469 delivered to the US). Don't expect intelligible instructions, but it's often remarkable what the HK and Chinese vendors can crank out for pennies.

"similar to webasto" is the phrasing.

Last edited:

Maninga

Adventurer
I would be thinking its a clone/copy, should be over 1000 and company making it builds automotive heating gear.

There are a couple of Chinese companies releasing heaters under their own name out there too. Was talking to the ex New Zealand distributor earlier today, was telling me of benchmarks done on them finding while they cost less, they also stop working far quicker than webasto and espar.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I had an Air Top 2000 (Webasto) factory installed in my highway tractor that performed flawlessly for 4 years of almost daily use. Then in year 5 it started to have issues and was deemed too costly to fix .

I replaced it with a "Chinese Webasto" being told it came from the same factory and was identical in function. Well it certainly looked the same except for the Chinese characters instead of English writing on the housing. That's about as far as the similarities went.....

Seven, yes, seven replacement units later, and numerous additional failures all related to the glow plug, I paid the difference for an Espar, which seems to be a superior unit to the Webasto from what I've seen.

You've been warned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gatsma

Adventurer
Sooo, you're gonna go for it anyway, right? Hey ya gotta live dangerously! Just razzin' you, man, hope you find a GOOD heater!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior