Weeekend Adventures(for now)

galvyork

Adventurer
So it has been a bit since my last post. After leaving Pictured Rocks NL, We met a buddy of mine and did Tahquamenon Falls, The lake Superior Shipwreck Museum at White Fish Point and then stayed the night at Hog Island Campground on the coast of Lake Michigan. It rained for the first day but the second was nice. Its a very quiet place during the week. Over 40 sites and there was only 5 sites filled. I traveled down to the lower peninsula for a few days and then headed to my mom's near Buffalo, NY. I have spent the last month or so there visiting and helping with yard work and firewood. I left Buffalo 7/25 and headed south to see friends in Cincinnati and then on the 28th headed to Rock Hill,SC to stay with friends here. I'm not sure how long I'll be here but thinking a week or so. It is hot and humid here and I'm ready for the desert again but I guess I will have to deal with it for the next few weeks or so till I get back west. After this Skia and I are headed west on the TAT and heading all the way to OR money and time permitting.

galvyork

Adventurer
82.jpg
83.jpg
On July 3rd we when to Chautauqua Lake in South West NY. Both dogs had a blast but, the lake was a bit cool for us and it was not very warm out.

I was slacking on the pictures for the past month or so since it was not stop busy from when I got there till I left. I wish I would have gotten some pics of the 26 trees I fell. I have to be better here in SC.

galvyork

Adventurer
So I have lost track of the days....I guess that is what happens when you skip like 4 weeks of writing a post! I left moms and spent 3 days in Cincinnati with a former coworker/friend then headed south to SC to meet up with a buddy of mine I went to high school with. We had a great visit. I was there about 9 or 10 days and now I have officially started the Trans American Trail. While in the greater Charlotte area we went to the BMX World Championship. The US won both men and women's pro race. It was a blast and got super exciting at the end. We also went to the National White Water Center River Fest which is every Thursday and Saturday night. They have great beer, rafting, kayaking, ropes course, rock climbing and mountain biking. Its a really interesting place and I would love to go back if I'm in the area again. On Sunday the 6th of August we went to Gorges SP which has Rainbow Falls and Turtle back Falls. Turtle back has some jumping rocks and a natural water-slide. It was cool and refreshing. On the 7th I packed up and hit the road bound for Andrews, NC where the TAT starts. It was a bit of a challenge navigating the maps but I think I'm on the right track now. The maps are a bit hard to read and some of the roads are not clearly marked. I'm glad I have my GPS! Tomorrow will start day 2 and Ill be hopefully getting to TN.

Day 2 of the TAT

Well day 2 got me from NC and Cherokee NF with the rain down to south TN/GA. Its been fun so far but super hard to drive and Navigate and taking a bit of getting used to the makes and roll tape and GPS combo. Some roads are not labeled physically or miss labeled on the gps. Ill be headed into the main GA section in about 20 or 30 miles. I feel a bit far behind but to be honest its hard to know for sure. Most people have one other person to help navigate but I have been do it all. The bugs are starting to get a bit bad but this is the first issue I have had the whole trip.

Day 3 and 4

I stayed in Franklin State forest and Davey Crockett SP in TN. Both Areas are really nice. Franklin SF is dispersed camping but nice since I was by my self. I got a burned out on the TAT and found my self not enjoying the trip(which is the point right?!) The navigation by myself and the lack of dirt in some sections plus the feeling of rushing to make mileage burned me out. I decided to get to Little Rock, AR and re evaluate. I think Ill head to Ozark NF and do more hiking and less driving. I'm thinking I will pick up the TAT in OK or NM early next week.

galvyork

Adventurer
No problem. I have the end of the trip to post but still need to go though the pics. I'll get there some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12