Weight Distribution Hitch Question

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Posting this up for my brother who's over on another forum. Any help you could give would be great.

His vehicle is a 04 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4.

Bought a 1997 Terry 24m travel trailer from work for almost nothing. NADA says the length is 26ft. I plan on reselling it after minor things on the outside are fixed.

The weight stickers on the outside of the trailer are extremly faded and you can barely make out anything. I was able to find it's weight on NADA which says it's 4640#'s. The sticker on the outside says the gvwr is 6300#'s. I could barely make it out.

Anyways, I plan on towing it 20 miles home to work on it and possibly another 20 miles which includes a small pass to the lot it'll sit on.

Before I do anything, I would like to get a weight distribution hitch which I'll probably include in the sale price. I'm trying to decide on an appropriate weight range for the hitch. Any suggestions?

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
I don't understand the question but most WD hitches come in the 10K lb flavor though if that helps...

For 40 miles though, I don't think he needs a WD hitch.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
The only real ratings I know of for a WD hitch would be based on the tongue weight. I would just get the smaller ones... I think 500-600lb range is common on the lower of the range. Other than that, most of the ones for a 2" receiver are rated to 10k lbs total GVWR.

I agree though, for 40 miles, doesn't seem worth it. Just driving slowly (40-ish) will eliminate most issues solved/masked by a WD hitch. Also, the hitch setup that works for a Taco may not work for a F350 because of the base hitch heights.

Don

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior