Weight of RTt

I was watching some random videos about Overlanding and there’s some guy. I think it’s rhino Overland and he said that his two person generation one Smitty built RTT Weighed only 50 pounds. That doesn’t seem possible anybody want to comment on that ? anybody know for sure?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Maybe? My 2 person Tepui was about 100 lbs and I could see the ability to shave a lot of weight by using lower grade materials.

I could see the claim being close to true if you stripped the cover, mounting hardware, mattress away and got a little optimistic.

Context probably matters. Was he talking about weight on roof rack, or how much you had to lift?

If he really meant 50 Kilos, it seems completely plausible.

no, it was 50 lbs I haven't really seen anything significantly less than 100 lbs even my GFC super light is 80 lbs He had it mounted on the drip rails . Which is intriguing to me because my new jeep will have the Sky One Touch top. and there aren't any good options to mount an RTT.

rgallant

Adventurer
Right between 95 and 100 it is the same basic tent as 2 person Tepui Ayer 2 roof bars/rack count as roof load too.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Years ago, a small Columbus was 95-100 Lbs with mediums running 115-120 Lbs. Large ones are stupid, they hang over the sides of the vehicle and mess with the aerodynamics. Maybe on a Chevy Subdivision ....

If you put a nice 4" memory foam mattress in a Columbus and you will have a 150 lb tent. One of the most difficult things is to source, a nice light comfortable mattress. If I remember right, the stock mattress in a medium Columbus tent was like 30-35 lbs. I'd take the mattress out before I would take the tent off, it made it so much easier to handle, still a pain.

I have a 50 pound rooftent. Strip the tent components down to nothing, no crossbars, tubular alloy frame, no foam mattress, mountaineering tent fabrics, super light ladders. Think like a backpacker.

Oh, don't get me started on ladders ...... I can't believe the weight of a "telescopic" ladder

There is no way a Smittybilt tent is 50 pounds, in their dreams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan