welding rig/expedition trailer build. Qs on leaf spring and air bag selection

Outdoort

Hey everyone. I'm about to start a expedition/off road style trailer build for my welding business. I need a trailer that will temporarily (maybe up to a year) be used to mount all my welding gear for when I do onsite welding. This will probably be more of a temporary use of the trailer as down the road I'll prob re purpose the trailer for off road camping use behind my 80 series land cruiser. So that means I want to build the suspension right from the start. And by the way, I'v actually thought about heading out to moab and/or any group campouts with my landcruiser and my welding trailer in tow and welding/fabricating things for people on the trail and at camp (let me know if you think that would be a useful idea or not)???
The trailer is going to be single axle 4'x7.5' bed dimensions.

So I'm about to order all the trailer parts from red neck trailer supplys and debating on using there 24" leaf springs or not. Seems like a few members here have mentioned using a single main leaf spring along with air bags instead of the stiff 24" standard leaf springs.
Problem is I haven't actually seen any threads in my search of anyone actually doing this. So if anyone knows any, please give me a link. All I really need to know is what would be a good leaf spring to use? The dimensions of the leaf need to work for the application. Look at this image: Measurement C is what I'm concerned about: https://www.etrailer.com/static/images/pics/q/u/qu62403_800.jpg

The leaf spring hangars will be mounted on the main 2x3 side frame rails and the leaf will need to have enough arc (measurement C) to fit a 6781 firestone ride rite air bag inbetween the leaf/axle mount and the 2x3 frame rail.

Another Q: If I can find the right leaf to use, and I have it mounted like such, Do I need a bump stop somewhere?? or is the air bag meant to handle bottom outs???

Any help would be highly appreciated as I'm under a time crunch here and need to get this built asap.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Personally I would stay away from using standard trailer springs. Ride very stiff for trails and will bounce a lot. I know you can get different weight ratings for them but they are still a very short spring. When I built my teardrop trailer in 35's I used 3" lifted Suzuki springs from trail-gear. I used bump stops to keep the tires from rubbing at full bump. Also plan on installing shocks will make it handle much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outdoort

Ya thats why I'm looking into this. Thanks for posting what you bought for your trailer. Those leaf springs from trail-gear are kinda expensive considering I only need a main leaf (and buying used would prob be best for the setup I'm talking about) So I need to figure out what vehicle I can go and get the leaf springs from at the junk yard.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Long run its not to bad versus replacing bushing and dealing with worn out springs. Tried it and ended replacing. Just sayin... Post pics

Outdoort

Okay, so what I think I'm going to do is custom order some leaf springs from this place: customsuspension.com and use firestone 6781 bags along with these springs.
I called this place up just now and talked to the guy and he said they could make me a 2 inch wide 36 inch long leaf spring rated at 1000lbs using a single leaf shipped to me in Pa. for around 220. Sounds like a good deal to me. But now that I know they could custom build a leaf spring to any specs. I want, I'm considering just skipping the air bags and just ordering a good set of leaf springs set up the way I want them. IDK, cuz I like the adjust-ability of airbags, especially considering one side of my trailer will be heavier than the other side (engine drive welder will be on the far right of the trailer) so with air bags I'll be able to run more psi on the right than on the left.

Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage to using a single leaf vs. 3-4 stacked leafs if we assume that both springs are rated at the same weight capacity??
Also, if I go ahead and do this with the air bags, what weight capacity and eye to eye length should I order for these leafs? Remember, the leafs are more of a axle locator, and the air bags will be doing most of the work. I'm looking at a trailer total weight of approx. 3-4000 lbs. with all my welding gear. Maybe a 1500lb trailer empty when I decide to repurpose the trailer for camping use/ etc.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
so what about just buying a 3500lbs solid axle then building a 4 link with bags? Go ahead and ditch the leafs all together if you have bags, and run shocks.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Can do what I did on my tent trailer. I have the pressure set different for the driver side due to the fridge being on that side.

affbeb52f023af3b125387a851afdb13.jpg

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Nice setup! I wanted to do that, but I was terrified that I couldn't get the camber and toe correct since there really isnt any adjustment with a setup like that. I know heat warp is a big problem.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Wasn't as bad as you think. Lots of patiences, measuring, and not drinking as much beer during that time! I built everything in one piece than cut it apart. Ended up being like 1/16th off overall. I can live with that lol.

For bringing the trailer on trails for welding I think you might be going over board. Unless someone has some booty fab stuff on their rig. I have only used a welder once and it was in my toy hauler. That's was a Johnson valley rock crawling trip.

Outdoort

Wasn't as bad as you think. Lots of patiences, measuring, and not drinking as much beer during that time! I built everything in one piece than cut it apart. Ended up being like 1/16th off overall. I can live with that lol.

For bringing the trailer on trails for welding I think you might be going over board. Unless someone has some booty fab stuff on their rig. I have only used a welder once and it was in my toy hauler. That's was a Johnson valley rock crawling trip.

Very nice looking trailing arms man! Id actually be down to build some of those but my problem is locating and figuring out what pivot bushings would work, then the brackets that need to be fabricated to hold and mount those bushings, etc. il have to look and see if u have a build tread on ur trailer. Like i said, i own my own welding/fabricating business so i got that part down. Its just the hardware/bushings. And also not knowing much about trailer gyometrys and such makes those trailing arms seem like more time than i want to put into this build.
I also would prob say that trailing arms would be better for off road, but combining leafs and airbags seem like it would make for a really stout setup, where even if ur bags failed, u still can limp home with the leafs (this assuming one used light capacity leafs allowing the bags to soak up 2/3 of the suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12