Well maybe I don't really need an FG- perhaps a 1920 "Oilfield Dodge" 2wd

Mock Tender

Adventurer
I originally posted this under the "Is 4WD necessary in a Light Truck? Diff Locks Sufficient?"

But, decided this video deserved its own thread.

Fun video: enjoy

youtube.com/watch?v=nq2jY1trxqg

Mark

LandRover

I'm always amazed by videos like this; the vehicles of the day had, what, 20 horsepower? 2wd? Skinny tires? And yet they seemed to be part mountain goat! Looka at the mud!

What were they building back then that we cannot seem to duplicate today without uber-expensive "systems" and overly-complicated drivelines? I'm just amazed at what was possible "then".

Thanks for the link! :)

libarata

Expedition Leader
I'm always amazed by videos like this; the vehicles of the day had, what, 20 horsepower? 2wd? Skinny tires? And yet they seemed to be part mountain goat! Looka at the mud!

What were they building back then that we cannot seem to duplicate today without uber-expensive "systems" and overly-complicated drivelines? I'm just amazed at what was possible "then".

Thanks for the link! :)

Those same amazing vehicles hardly went a week without parts, had gravity fed fuel delivery systems that you had to manual open/close otherwise it would just flood and drain the engine. They also had top-speeds of what, 30, with MPGs of around 10. Yep, far superior systems.

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Libarata-

You are kinda of right from my perspective. Like owning an MG, or an old Jeep or flying a Spad- they ain't perfect, but they are GRAND!

I still think the hand out the window as an outrigger is one of the best parts of the video. Can't think of a single vehicle today that I would even contemplate doing that: even tanked.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Another reason they had the ability to go through the mud, was because they HAD skinny tires. They cut DOWN to the stuff under the mud, instead of floating, and spinning on top of it like all of the super wide tires we all have these days. The same goes for snow as well. Wide tires do not mean more traction all of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan