What coilover + long arm system works with Hutchinson Rock Monsters @4.63 backspacing

TFS Destruction

I have reached the end of the internet and have not found an answer. I was looking to pair a coilover suspension (~4.5 inches) with Hutchinson Rock Monsters and 37 inch tires. But with the Rock Monster's 4.63 inch backspacing, it just doesn't seem that such a setup is possible. All the coilovers (e.g. EVO Double D Pro, Rock Crawler Rock Runner, etc) seem to require a smaller backspacing so I'm being told they wont work with Rock Monsters. I do NOT want to run wheel spacers -- that's the issue. My thoughts are -- I'm attempting to build a solid Jeep and the last thing I want is to add a potential weak link via wheel spacers. Does anyone have any leads on whether there is a coilover long-arm suspension system that will work with Hutchinson Rock Monster beadlocks?

This is the holdback from me going forward with my build!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Rock Krawler won't work?
What are they asking for? 4.5"? Does that little make such a big difference?
How about the Terraflex 4" Elite LCG Long FlexArm?

TFS Destruction

Rock Krawler won't work?
What are they asking for? 4.5"? Does that little make such a big difference?
How about the Terraflex 4" Elite LCG Long FlexArm?

Rock Krawler says 3.5 for 37 inch tire.
For some reason the Teraflex site for the 4" (and 6"??) says 4.5 backspacing BUT that it is for 35" tires. Anyhow, confusing information. Plus (and this may belie my lack of understanding of all this), the Teraflex Elite LCG just has regular coil springs. Is that something you can "make" into a coilover setup?

Thanks,

onetraveller

Adventurer
Any long arm system can be made into a coilover suspension. It just may not be a straight bolt-on situation. Synergy for example sells their long arm and coil over conversions as separate elements. The issue with backspacing is the positioning of the control arms, not the coilovers themselves. With too much backspacing, the rear control arms will rub on the tires. You usually need 4.5 inches or less for the steering flip kit in the front to clear as well. The Synergy 4.5 inch long arm kit says you can use as much as 4.75inches, but they recommend 4.5 or less. http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep-JK-Stage-4-Long-Arm-Suspension-System-4-4.5-Lift-p-20948.html#.VVujRv7wuUk

Mike

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Rock Krawler says 3.5 for 37 inch tire.
For some reason the Teraflex site for the 4" (and 6"??) says 4.5 backspacing BUT that it is for 35" tires. Anyhow, confusing information. Plus (and this may belie my lack of understanding of all this), the Teraflex Elite LCG just has regular coil springs. Is that something you can "make" into a coilover setup?

Thanks,
I'd give TF a call. I think your wheels will work on the 4" if you flat-fender the build too.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have seen many teraflex systems using ROCK MONSTERS. Call them up. I recommend TF over any other suspension. I have nothing but great luck from their products.

BBailey

Explorer
Coilovers require less backspacing because of the added space necessary for the shock/coils to clear the frame and the tire at full stuff, something that isn't a concern with a traditional coilspring/shock lift. I'll be surprised if you find something short of a full custom set-up that'll work (and that custom system would require boxing the frame to create room for the coilover, not something I'd be real keen to do).

TF doesn't sell a coilover set-up (and it seems some guys don't understand that based on their recommendations of the TF LCG 4" and 6" systems, which are both traditional coilspring/shock lifts). EVO and Rebel probably have the best bolt on set-up's you'll find, both require lower backspaced wheels in order to clear the coilover itself at full stuff. I'm personally partial to the EVO set-up as it can be set at a much lower lift height. If you are open to welding, there are quite a few other off-the-shelf retail options available (as mentioned previously Synergy is one, EVO has another, Tribe also has a set-up that can be welded on) as well as custom solutions that any competent off-road fab shop could handle. Any long arm system will work fine with any coilover set-up, don't base your coilover decision on that, pick the coilovers you want, then pick the long-arm system you want. Pay attention to the joints, the coilover system is going to offer a lot of flex and you'll blow out bushings in cheap control arms.

Why the aversion to spacers? Properly installed and torqued, they aren't much different than a wider axle. I've been running a set for nearly 25k miles and haven't had a single issue.

Only other option I can think of is to go with axles with more WMS to WMS spread. With 69" you could easily run 4.5 inch backspaced wheels.

Where in TX are you? If you're in the DFW area, you should be able to find just about any set-up you want and get a first hand look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12