What options do I have for a flatbed 'shell', with pass through?

freedrive

Who makes a 'starter shell' for a F250/350 flatbed platform, with a pass-through? I'm looking for something with about 60-70" headroom and standardish width and length, and a rear access opening large enough to load a motorcycle. Something that won't stand out TOO much in the Walmart parking lot, will be comfy for long trips, and be fine 500 mi outside of Anchorage Alaska. Not a true expedition vehicle, but a very solid / simple stealth camper with rear access large enough for a (medium sized) motorcycle.

FYI, all I need is a good "shell", I'll outfit the internals as I need.

EDIT: To be a bit more specific, I'd prefer a simple pass through that is in place of the rear window of the truck. IE, remove rear window, add truck-to-box-boot for weather seal. No permanent mods to the truck, but of course a limited size pass through.

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
The motorcycle will eat up a large portion of inside space, you could probably fit a simple cot next to it for sleeping. "Comfy" is in the eye of the beholder. If you just need a place to sleep for a drive up to a destination like Alaska? Sounds comfy to me for such a short trip. Planning on living out of it or full timing? Absolutely not, but that's me.

I don't know any company that does what you are decribing per se, you might contact Camperlogic, they have a build thread on the forum in a different area and could probably handle it, also Bahn camper might. I don't quite understand the need for a "pass through" is it for bear security? A cheaper option would probably be a 44 mag. with the 44 mag. option you could have a truck that could actually function as a truck without it being a dedicated camper like it were if it had a pass through.

EDIT:
I think it would make more sense to forget the flat bed all together and have the box mounted to the chassis, this could save you quite a bit of money. You could have a flat bed but when you took the box off because of the "pass through" you would no back window, so no security, and driving around without a back window I think would get pretty old.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
Following....

I'm looking to do the same, only hoping to modify by removing the 'center' seats and cutting out some sheet metal to make it 'walkable'. Sorta like what you see in EarthRoamer.

freedrive

I'd just get a 4x4 MB Sprinter...but apparently they go into limp mode frequently.
Short term, I'd be happy with a window/crawl pass through, but yea, eventually I might modify to a 'walkable'.

I'm realizing I may have requirements that aren't compatible. :)

freedrive

The motorcycle will eat up a large portion of inside space, you could probably fit a simple cot next to it for sleeping. "Comfy" is in the eye of the beholder. If you just need a place to sleep for a drive up to a destination like Alaska? Sounds comfy to me for such a short trip. Planning on living out of it or full timing? Absolutely not, but that's me.

I don't know any company that does what you are decribing per se, you might contact Camperlogic, they have a build thread on the forum in a different area and could probably handle it, also Bahn camper might. I don't quite understand the need for a "pass through" is it for bear security? A cheaper option would probably be a 44 mag. with the 44 mag. option you could have a truck that could actually function as a truck without it being a dedicated camper like it were if it had a pass through.

EDIT:
I think it would make more sense to forget the flat bed all together and have the box mounted to the chassis, this could save you quite a bit of money. You could have a flat bed but when you took the box off because of the "pass through" you would no back window, so no security, and driving around without a back window I think would get pretty old.

Thanks for the company names, I'll check them out. The pass through is for convenience, and for 'stealth' use. I could possibly start without one, if I had the option to add later if so desired. And yea, it's for a month or 2 at a time use, not full time living. No toilet, ouside shower, etc. I've done a LOT of multi day backpacking, so am quite comfy with simple amenities while in the outback. A bed, heat, storage, and security are really minimum requirements. Refrigeration, stove, sink would be luxuries, but something I'd do if I had room.

windtraveler

Observer
Check out Breezer windows. They make a removable rear window for just about every truck out there and a couple of different boot options. Google them.

yfarm

Observer
Contact Caravan Camper Shells in Reno NV. They build extremely durable steel shells and should have no issue building a taller standard shell. Have positive pressure vent system to keep dust out. If you want cheap, buy a used one and stack on top of long side mount truck tool boxes. Search craigslist in Nevada for used ones. Company has been around a long time. Craigslist Reno has used for 200-2700, one post says list prices for new 5500. Website says max height 34", super duty box height is 20", Dezee top mount tool box is 20" tall and 8'long. You get 54" of height either way.

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We can get you a shell for under US$15.000 depending on size and features (plus shipping)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Contact Caravan Camper Shells in Reno NV. They build extremely durable steel shells and should have no issue building a taller standard shell. Have positive pressure vent system to keep dust out. If you want cheap, buy a used one and stack on top of long side mount truck tool boxes. Search craigslist in Nevada for used ones. Company has been around a long time. Craigslist Reno has used for 200-2700, one post says list prices for new 5500. Website says max height 34", super duty box height is 20", Dezee top mount tool box is 20" tall and 8'long. You get 54" of height either way.

They are pretty sweet, I saw a few on craigslist a few years back when I was looking for a shell to go on my previous truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears