What should I do with our D1?

NitroRoo

Hey everyone... new to this place, getting lots of ideas...

We've got a '99 Series 1 Discovery that isn't doing so well and I'm not sure what to do with it. We've had the truck for about 4 years and it's been super reliable up until the last year or so when it started having overheating problems (pretty common from what I hear). I replaced the water pump and fan clutch and flushed the system and that seemed to really help. We drove it from Florida to Texas back in August and no problems at all, even stuck in rush hour traffic in Dallas. Well a few months later and I think the head gasket has gone. No oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, but definitely not running on all 8 cylinders and lots of white smoke coming out the exhaust. My wife was driving when this first happened and it got really hot (like needle all the way to the H), of course it had lost a ton of coolant.

It has about 155k miles on it and we've always said that when it started to become less reliable it would become more of a fun vehicle... sooo, time for the real fun to begin! First things first, I need to sort out the engine woes.

I've read about the cylinder liner issue and since ours has gotten so hot, I'm worried about that - plus the engine has over 150k miles on it. So I'm thinking I either need to completely rebuild, or buy a new engine.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined but I've never rebuilt an engine. I'm wondering what the best option is at this point... rebuilt, used engine, brand new engine, diesel conversion? Obviously money is a factor - I don't want to dump more money into this than I could just go out and buy a good truck for... but I also hear that the TDi conversion is well worth it, but $$$

The good thing is we've already purchased another family vehicle so time isn't a concern, although it would be nice to have it up and running for next summer. If possible, I'd like to do the work myself and learn the truck along the way. After I get the motor sorted out the mods will begin (she's completely stock now).

So.. for the engine issue, if I'm doing it myself, what's the most cost effective solution that would provide long term reliability and not completely break the bank? What would you do?

Should I just sell it and buy a jeep? :lurk:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
If you own the truck out right (no notes) ... I would fix it.
Just my take. (especially if it has been reliable as in ... you know the truck).

A head gasket repair on a Disco of the mileage is not uncommon.

Thanks
D

SeaRubi

Explorer
Should I just sell it and buy a jeep? :lurk:

btdt. just fix it. This is a good time to find a 4.6L short block, have the heads rebuilt, and take a little time to go through the truck to prepare it for the next 150k miles.

cheers,
-ike

revor

Explorer
Swaps are neat! I've done many.. But they're expensive..

Rebuild the 4.0 if you were happy with it, find a 4.6 short block if not..

These engines are simple to rebuild just like any early 60's American V8

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Unless you want to dump considerable time and money into the vehicle, I would find another block or rebuild the one you have if it's still in good shape. I would also plan on replacing/upgrading the entire cooling system to ensure you keep the new engine happy.

NitroRoo

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely WANT to fix it I'm just not sure what the best "bang for the buck" solution is. The 4.0 wasn't bad... a bit low on power and bad gas mileage. I'd love to swap a diesel in there but that's big $$, and I'm on a budget. I guess I'll start looking into how I can rebuild this engine. The rest of the truck is solid - and of course I love to drive it and take it to places it was built to go :smiley_drive:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Do some trouble shooting on your existing motor. Maybe you'll get lucky and just get away with head gaskets, and you'll learn about it at the same time. Next on the list would be to find another decent 4.0 and go with that. There are lots of rusty D1's being parted out every day. Rebuilding would be more expensive.
You keep mentioning "diesel" and "budget" in the same sentence...not going to happen so just forget about that!

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
The diesel swap falls under the "Law of British Car Restoration:" take your budget and double it and then double it again ;) (how do I know this ?)

It will however nicely increase your car's range and will be very nice for idling over obstacles, whilst off-road... and the sound is ever so nice :)

If vast sums are not available for tossing at the car, then take Keith's idea for the upgrade, but maybe just find a nice, clean, complete 4.6 from a low mileage car and just plug it in and go have fun !

If I were to do it again, I would very seriously consider the Isuzu/NV4500/LT230 arrangement (check out the Pirate link posted above - it would be even easier with a D1 than a D2). I would also keep it simple and just do a small lift with 255/85R16 (or maybe 235/85R16) tires and spend the money for good shocks (you can remove the sway bars, if you like). Less is more in this case.

Cheers !
Frank

(OT: Hi Keith !)

Swaps are neat! I've done many.. But they're expensive..

Rebuild the 4.0 if you were happy with it, find a 4.6 short block if not..

These engines are simple to rebuild just like any early 60's American V8

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
If the machine doesn't owe you anything and you want to have it as more of a toy I say do the engine work.

Whenever something breaks on one of my vehicles I look at it as an opportunity to do an upgrade. Do the 4.6 and learn about the mod at the same time.

Don't sell the carcass to get a Jeep. Nothing wrong with a Disco with the right owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M2C_PLUS