what time is the best to buy a tent? should I wait for price drop?

idans

Hi. my first Thread so I hope I post that message in the right forum :)
I'm not living in the US but I would like to buy a 6 person family tent in the US and ship it over to my country
I'm debating between the Eureka JADE CANYON 6 and the Eureka COPPER CANYON 6. I liked the cabin style and that they are roomy.

I looked for a good deal/sale in the Black Friday but there were none.
Do anyone knows if there will be a good sale/big discount on these tents, and when? something that is worth to wait for?

the COPPER CANYON 6 can be found at 200$ and the JADE CANYON 6 - 280$ (240$ used), and I still need to pay about 100$ for shipping it
Lets say that for 10% discount I will not wait but for big discounts I might consider waiting
Thank you
Idan

tarditi

Explorer
Your location may have a lot to do with the "best" time to buy - especially if free shipping is offered anywhere.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would be surprised to see much price variation in tents. They do not perish, so there is no sales pressure. There is not a tent factory that has to stay in business so there is no sales pressure, and there is not a new model coming to replace the old one, so there is no sales pressure... Really, retailers have very little motivation to move them at a discount in my opinion.

You might do better on shipping by ordering online and having it delivered directly to your home country.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Camping gear is not like cars or electronics that constantly change with technology, typically when a good design comes on the market for a tent it will not change for many years, and even then it will be very small like a change in the poles or zipper for reducing weight or increasing snow load.

idans

Your location may have a lot to do with the "best" time to buy - especially if free shipping is offered anywhere.

actually international shipping prices are just becomming higher. shipping itself to my country will cost me around 100$ - that is why I'm wondering whether to buy now or to wait.

Chili

Explorer
The only routine sales I see on camping gear here (in Texas) is usually based on the season. Towards the end of summer, early fall I tend to see the camping gear go on sale. But this is usually only in brick and mortar stores, where shelf-space can get expensive. They tend to clearance out stuff that made it through the season unsold.

The only 'deals' I really see on tents otherwise, are when going direct to China using alibaba or ebay.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
idans
What country are you in?

You can look throughout the internet and find sales on ground tents.

Try, www.sierratradingpost.com for deals on previous year models that are being sold at discount.
Also check the REI closeout section and the Cabellas garage sale section.

Regards,
Brian

idans

Hey guys. thank you for helping me to decide. I have must ordered the JADE CANYON 6 and hope to be pleased with it. I have called to Eureka customer service and they gave me some nice discount so that is a good start :) no really other sales on 6 person tents.
thank you all, wish you a warm winter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12