What would you buy if you only had...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'll see whats out there. I just saw a 2 door Rodeo, w/106k on the clock. Are those worth looking into?

If it has 2 doors it's not a Rodeo, it's an Amigo. They do have a bit of a cult following, probably because of the removable top.

Otherwise, I've heard both good and bad about Isuzu products. They have virtually no presence in the US market anymore, if that's an issue.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A 3rd gen 4runner will meet all of your requirements except price (any 3rd gen for $4k will be salvaged or thrashed, or very high miles like 250K+.)

But looking at your signature, you have a 4th gen 4runner, a big truck and an FJ. Clearly you don't need another "off road" vehicle, right?

So get a Camry or a Corolla and enjoy 30+ MPG and leave your exploration to the low-mileage vehicles. Doesn't have to be Toyota, either: I'm very happy with my $900 Mazda Protege. I did have to sink about $600 into CV joints, brakes and a seeping valve cover gasket but I'm still sitting at less than $2k for a vehicle that will get 32+ MPG all day long. Nissan also makes some nice looking small cars (Sentra.) Even Mitsubish makes some nice small to mid-size cars (Galant, Diamante.)

Another possibility would be a Subaru. Avoid anything from 1995 - 2000 or so with the 2.5 motor (HG issues) but anything else should be fine. An older Impreza with the 1.8, 2.0 or 2.2 should be perfect.

ETA: It's unfortunate that there aren't more small wagons out there. I'd love to have a wagon but they're not that easy to find, especially with manual trannys (which I demand.) Subaru is about the only game in town on inexpensive small wagons with manual transmissions (though Mazda makes some little "hatchbacks" that are really wagons and have manuals.)

Not sure about VWs. People either seem to be rabid "fanboys" or they hate them - there's no in between. BMW has made some sporty wagons in the past, not sure if they still do but personally I'm leery of any "luxury" brand - it just strikes me as an invitation to get ripped off by every mechanic in town.

Last edited:

double moo

Adventurer
If it has 2 doors it's not a Rodeo, it's an Amigo. They do have a bit of a cult following, probably because of the removable top.

Actually... in the later years (2000 - 2003) they were renamed a Rodeo Sport, but still referred to as an Amigo by most folks.

fjatheart

Adventurer
Starting to think I should try to find a home for my 40 and F250 and roll the funds into a 4 door Tacoma. I would have decent mpg, a truck bed, less vehicles to insure. Just thinking this through, by no means am I set on this. I get attached to vehicles, especially the 40. My Dad and started working on it back in 1998 and restored it to a solid DD and trail rig.

just thinking....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Starting to think I should try to find a home for my 40 and F250 and roll the funds into a 4 door Tacoma. I would have decent mpg, a truck bed, less vehicles to insure. Just thinking this through, by no means am I set on this.

In another thread a few years ago, someone was asking whether or not to sell his built 80 because he couldn't afford to drive it anywhere.

The question I asked then is the question I'll ask now:

Does your vehicle support your lifestyle, or does your lifestyle support your vehicle?

There's nothing wrong with having a "hobby vehicle" if that's what you're into and if that's what you want. If you'd rather spend a day working on your vehicle, adding accessories, shining and polishing, or making your vehicle exactly what you want it to be, then by all means that's what you should be doing.

But if you're spending so much time and money building and maintaining your vehicles that you don't have the time and money left over to actually use them the way you want to, then you've got to ask yourself the question above.

You've got one life to live and time and money are finite things.

I get attached to vehicles, especially the 40. My Dad and started working on it back in 1998 and restored it to a solid DD and trail rig.

You certainly aren't the first person to fall into this kind of trap, where you want to keep some tangible iconic thing that connects you to the past, but where doing so keeps you from enjoying today.

But ultimately it's up to you to decide: Do these "things" you have enhance your life, or are they just anchors, dragging you down and keeping you from doing what you want to be doing.

fjatheart

Adventurer
Wow, all great points and it sure has me thinking. I'm going to have to sleep on this for a few nights. That was really insightful, thank you.

Last edited:

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Four-door Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker. They're easy to work on, get good mileage, can be extensively modified, and the four-door (long wheelbase) versions have good space. You might even be able to get into a Suzuki Vitara/Chevy Tracker ('99+), too.

- Andy

:iagree:

254180410_RKsgy-L.jpg

Viggen

Just here...
Early Passat 4motion wagon.

Little bit of a spacer lift and some more aggressive tires. You could go almost anywhere you describe and it would be just another car to everyone else.

Very doable for 4k

No. Name early. B5? Not reliable. B5.5? Slightly better. But youve got the 1.8T and its going to be high mileage and prone to the engine sludge issues that kill that motor. B6? Great but only available in VR6 and thats nowhere near the price and the 07s (the most common) had oil pump stud issues that killed motors. The Haldex system is okay but not nearly as fast as you might think and still heavily front biased. $4k? Isuzu Trooper 4 cyl. In my area, $4k will buy you a POS 4Runner. Hold their value a little too much.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
In my area, $4k will buy you a POS 4Runner. Hold their value a little too much.

If you're talking about a 3rd gen, that's true. However, you can get a pretty nice 2nd gen for ~$2500. Most of them will have the unloved 3.0 V6 (A/K/A "Three Point Slow") which sometimes had HG issues but AFAIK once the HG is repaired it's a fine engine, if somewhat underpowered.

I see dozens and dozens of 2nd gen 4runners on the streets here in CO, they can't all have blown head gaskets.

A 2nd gen with a blown HG can often be found on CL for less than $1,000. If you've got the mechanical ability to drop a new engine in there it can be a bargain. Just something to consider.

Bobfab

Observer
Grand Vitara was the first thing that came to my mind when i read the post! There is also that article on the main expo site which talks about why they think they are awesome cars!

For the owning a vehicle / vehicle owning you argument. I cannot stress this enough, as a person who at one time had a ton of project vehicles, Sometimes it is just better to buck up on the car payment and sell or mothball any projects that may be consuming you. It hurts at the time and you let some of your prides and joys go, but you feel much better 3 months down the road if you made the right decision. If something had great sentimental value, find a distant relative, storage unit or garage somewhere to hide the project until you can get back to it!

My personal experience: For about a year I was camping and wheeling my Sx4, trailering dirtbikes, before finally admitting that i needed a full blown pickup truck and man i have never been happier with my decision. Not looking back at all.... at all. Sometimes newer, simpler and more reliable simply beat old school, utilitarian and hardcore; especially when you factor in practicality, safety, loved ones, and real life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12